Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How to install rocker arms/pushrods

bigneilsen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1
ok here we go, this is my first time doing this mod and writing a how to. so all comments are weclome. sorry if the pics arnt that nice, had to use my phone and it was little dark.

also, any damage you do to your car and parts is not my fault. you know the deal.

car: vt v6 series 1

i bought a MACE 1.98:1 ultra high ratio set of rockers and pushrods, this is what i got:
IMG_0330.jpg

so first you should see something like this:
IMG_0335.jpg

first you will want to remove throttle body and vaccuum hose, you dont have to completely remove throttle body just unbolt and move to the side. i also disconnected the battery, dunno if this is nessacary but i did anyway. also people say to move dipstick and alternator brace, but i managed to get away with not moving theses things.
IMG_0336.jpg

next undo the 5 bolts that hold down the rocker cover, make sure not to lose the rubber grommets, once this is done lift the rocker cover off and place to the side. i did the driver side first, but it doesnt matter(i thought this side was harder/less room so maybe best to get it out the way first) and you should see this:
IMG_0340.jpg

once the cover is off, proceed to unbolt the rocker arms, mine took a little force to get going but once they get going its alrite. once all the bolts and arms are removed (one at a time) the retainer plate i think its called will come free, take this out as you have a new one. then simply pull out the push rods and you should see something like this(note my pushrods are still in there):
IMG_0341.jpg

<Br>
IMG_0342.jpg

firstly i put the new pushrods in, easy enough just make sure there in properly, give it a little jiggle and youll know, then place the new retainer plate in roughly in place, then grab the first rocker arm, apply pre lube, dunno exactly how much to use but shown below is how much i used:
IMG_0351.jpg

then grab a new rocker bolt and install through the rocker arm and retainer plate and into cylinder head, do up finger tight, or just enough so it sits in place making sure the pushrod is in its seat and the other end in center of the spring retainer(i think thats what its called) what i did was install a rocker arm at either end of the heads so the retainer plate stayed in place. as below:
IMG_0352.jpg

repeat above untill all rocker arms are installed and bolts finger tight. then go through and tighten bolts properly. i think you are supposed to use a tourque wrench(11ft lb) but i just did them up pretty decent but not braining it tight. once all new arms and pushrods are in you should see this:
IMG_0343.jpg

then refit rocker cover, you dont have to replace the gasket because they use reuseable gaskets, but if its busted then youll need to replace it. i was going to, but turns out holden are to stupid to give me the gaskets i asked for, so the old ones had to go back in. lucky they wernt busted.

then repeat for other side, passenger side i found easier because its alot more open. also after i had removed arms and retainer plate on passenger side i found some dirt built up on the rocker arm bolts studs, i just used a paper towel to clean this up.
IMG_0349.jpg

once the other side is complete replace the throttle body and vaccuum hose and battery if you disconnected it. stand back admire your work and hope all went well, remove all tools from under bonnet, start engine. if all went well its time for a test drive.

like i said this was my first time doing this, if i missed anything please let me know, and for those wondering it was alot easier than i thought. although it took me around 3 hours, i wanted to take my time and do it properly. hope this helps. time for a beer :beer chug:

timmysvs11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs series 2
nice how to bro, hey i'm thinking of doing this mod as well, just wondering what sort of difference the car felt like to drive, i'm on the goldie too so just wondering where i could pick some of these rockers up from, and also how much do they cost, have u dont any other mods? i have a vs v6 series 2

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
My Gregory's says rocker arm retaining bolts is 11-19Nm then plus 90 degrees.

bigneilsen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1
thanks, the car is alot more responsive, especially 3000rpm onwards. i think i talked it up in my head that i was gonna get this bullshit amount of extra tourque. but in saying that you can really feel the difference and was well worth the money. check out MACE ENGINEERING GROUP - thats where i got them from. $650 for a brand new set(includes everything in the first pic)

yeah this was the last mod im planing on doing to the engine (beside the delcowizzd tune on its way). i also have full exhaust, OTRCAI, bored out throttle body, shift kit and corvette servo. because im only on my Ps theres really not much else i can do that i know of thats not forced induction or gonna cost heaps.

thanks acarmody.

v8superlegend

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exec
hey mace, when you buy the kit does it come with instructions??

no modifications to the valves are needed for the higher ratio?

and what is the precise torque for the rockers?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I will be getting this kit in the next month, Stupid question but do the rods go only in one way or it dont matter? just want to be sure for when i do this.

Thanks.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Doesn't matter, they are completely symmetrical.

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
Word of warning to people with VX Series 1, 2, VY series 1, 2. You will probably have overcasting in the rocker bay area around the pushrod holes. This will prevent you from putting in the pushrods correctly as they will sit on a different angle from then new ratio rockers. You will have to chip away some of the overcasting which will be in the way (cast). You can use a small chisel and hammer to do this. Be very careful not to drop bits down the holes. I put tissues under were i chipped away the overcasting.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Much safer to just get the thinner pushrods. You get ANY metal down their and you risk a LOT.And I believe it was the VYs that were the biggest culprit.