Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] Polishing the plenum on your ecotec

ANL53X

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Olympic Edition S2
I have never liked the look of the ecotec motors without the engine cover on. It is just plain ugly, with the wires for the injecters and the shape of the plenum. So i decided to have a go at neatening it up by polishing the plenum. As you may know, the plenum on the ecotec's is quite rough and...well ugly. By polishing it, you will make it look a lot more presentable.

What you will need:
320 grit wet/day paper
600 grit wet/day paper
800 grit wet/day paper
1000 grit wet/day paper
A rag to remove the dust during sanding
A polishing cloth (the rag will suffice)
A strong hand
Autosol or any metal polish
*you can use any number wet/day paper, but it recommended that you go up in small increments and finish with one of at least 1000.

1. Start of by removing the engine cover with a 10ml socket. And remove any dust from the plenum.
2. get the 320 grit paper and begin sanding it down, focusing on the parts which are really rough.
3. once you have done that, begin using the 600, then the 800 and finally the 1000. You should spent at least a few good minutes sanding it, using the rag to wipe away the excess dust that has been left. And take a break every once and a while, believe me, your hand will need it.
3. Once you have finished with the 1000 grit paper and given the plenum a good wipe down, you will notice that it is very very smooth and already looking much better than first. Get the Autosol, or any good metal polish, and start polishing the plenum. I did this a few times to get a nice finish.

And there you have it, a much neater looking plenum, and in my opinion it looks better then the plain old engine cover or some painted engine covers, and it only took you about an hour, if that! Plus, how many people have taken the time to even do that? Not many of your mates i guess.

Attachments

• DSCF0403.jpg
    DSCF0403.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 8,148
  • DSCF0405.jpg
    DSCF0405.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 4,662
  • DSCF0406.jpg
    DSCF0406.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 5,241
  • DSCF0404.jpg
    DSCF0404.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 6,254
Last edited:

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Good idea, ANL53X, some photos would top off your how-to nicely.

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
^^^ 2nd that

ANL53X

Reaction score
Members Ride
come on fellas.....ok ok i will try to get pics up soon. i took photos but the camera is 12mp so couldn't fit on here, but will use my mates soon.

bigneilsen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1
open them in paint and resave as .jpg and youll be sweet.

if they are .bmp they take up a **** load of room

ANL53X

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just uploaded some pics. Give em a suss people. Love to hear some feedback.

AlexR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR 'S' Ute
I must ask, why do you VS owners onwards call it a plenum? As far as im concerned its a Intake manifold cover.

ANL53X

Reaction score
Members Ride
No idea mate. Always have called it a plenum and not an intake manifold cover. it's the same thing, so it doesn't really matter whichever way.