Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How to bodgey you car to get home or for other reasons

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
I cant seem to find any thread like this,so i thought i would start one.
Ever wondered what to do when your cars broken down with a leaky radiator or a broken fanbelt?
Have you gone in for a rwc/safety cert & been failed on something stupid?
Then read on & feel free to add more.

1.Radiators leaks-mix an omelete,pour it in the radiator,start car & wait. The omelete mix will move through your radiator then cook sealing up any minor holes

2.Fanbelt broken & dont have a replacement or cant afford one straight away-pinch your missus pantyhose & use that as a temp fix-will last up to a week if you dont hoon it around

3.Failed on leaky shocks for a rwc-degrease them while they are still on the car,dry them. then where the bolts are put a spanner on them to look like they have been undone. Then get a sheet of newspaper & a can of black spray paint,use the newspaper to coverup what you dont want to paint. Then just give your shocks a blast of black paint-instant new shocks.
Most of the time shocks that are leaking are still fine in the short term. It recommended to eventually replace your shocks.

4. Failed on engine leaks for a rwc-should never happen. Before you go in for a rwc completely degrease your engine bay & underneath your car. then give it a good gernie- Clean engine-no leaks you will pass 9 times out of 10.

5. Failed on steering wheel grip for a rwc-dont buy a new steering wheel. Drill some tiny holes into the back of the steering wheel,insert a nozzle of $2 glue,then squirt. Move the steering wheel grip back & forth so the glue goes everywhere,then leave for a few hours to set.
WARNING!!-Dont put to much glue in there,when you grip the wheel to move,then try to remove your hands you may find yourself glued to the wheel-dont laugh seen it happen-was funny though:D

6-Got an old shitebox that needs a rwc-problem is that big rust hole wont let you pass. Well if you know it wont pass fix it before you go in for a rwc. Grind qround the rust hole till bare metal is showwing-now the fun part-stuff a hole bunch of newspaper in the hole till its full then bog over it.
Sand then paint as per normal. No more rust hole & saves putting 4 litres of bog in the hole.
If you want to make this repair permanent & stronger use fibreglass matting over the repair.
Note:Not really recommended for structual rust. Same principal will apply & work but if you have to do it use fibreglass matting & steel fibre re-inforced filler(bog)

7.Exhaust mount broken-just wire it up with an old wire coat hanger. This will also pass a rwc,as long as no wire sticks out & the exhaust is secure.

8. Holes in your seat-this is a fail for rwc in some places. Easy fix just put sme old car seat covers on. Not many places will bother to remove the seat covers since most of them are tied on etc.

I have plenty more ideas,suggestions & bodgey jobs but lets see what else people do for various reasons.
PLEASE NOTE!-These ideas are simple bodgey fixs,some arent permenent & will require proper repair at some point in time but,if you need to get home or somewhere,need that car passed for a rwc then this will help:D

Last edited:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Do you have to add salt and pepper to the omelete mix for it to work?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Depends if your radiator is lactose intolerant.

mattgreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
god this is why we have shitboxes on the road

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
ive heard the omelette thing before, the problem is that knowing me id make the omelette and then eat it...

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
god this is why we have shitboxes on the road

suggestions 4,5 & 7 are completely legitimate & legal. i have done rwc inspections for customers in places i have worked in & was taught how to do these things by an old mechanic in one place i worked at. why pay 50 bucks for a new steering wheel when you dont have to,if holden used decent glue to begin with this problem wouldnt occur not only with the steering wheels but in some cases you also have loose fabric on the seats in a commodore due to rubbish glue used. degreasing your car & giving it a good wash should be done normally anyway. i have had to fail vehicles in the past simply because the engine bay is dirty. as for the newspaper in a hole trick,the newspaper mearly acts as support for the bog to hold to. eventually the newspaper disintegrates. i should have added though to make it more permanent & stronger fibreglass matting should be applied. which i will amend now.
we have shitboxes still on the road not because of bodgey repairs but because of poor maintenence & people who dont care about the car they drive more than anything else:)

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
lol, i put 5 holes in my radiator when my fan went through it. how many eggs will i need?

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
the omelete mix does work but is only a temp fix for minor leaks if your stuck with no other option. salt & pepper is optional,eating it is up to you. recommend thorough radiator flush at first opportunity followed by proper permanent repair or replacement:)

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
lol, i put 5 holes in my radiator when my fan went through it. how many eggs will i need?

might have to buy a chicken farm for that one,lol. might be cheaper to just buy another radiator though:)

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
well, we ended up removing it, drying it out, pinching the fins that were leaking and sealing with epoxy glue (stuck in a small town on a sunday 2 hours from adelaide) but yeah $600 later i had a new radiator and the fan and hub were extra :(