Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] Replacing plugs on your alloytec( Not dial up friendly)

SLIVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Calais 3.6
Things Youll Need.
Music
10mm Socket
13mm Socket
16mm Plug Socket
Multi Grips or Pliers
Phillips head
Flat Blade screw driver
6 Spark Plugs(i got mine from holden but you can get them from Autobarn aswell)
1 pair of inlet Manifold Gaskets
IMG_0082.jpg

First things First, You have to pull of these 2 Vaccum Hoses
IMG_0083.jpg

Undo this Bold with your 10mm socket
IMG_0084.jpg

Undo the 3 screws holding the Airbox lid on Using a Phillips head
IMG_0085.jpg

Remove radiator Cover by using your Flat bladed Screw Driver
IMG_0086.jpg

Now Unplug your AFM
IMG_0087.jpg

Undo the Clamp on your Induction pipe with a small shifter, Unplug the Throttle body(underneath), And take off the vaccum hose on the left hand side
IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

Use Pliers to squeeze the clamp on the Master Cylinder vaccum hose and pull it off, Unplug the to plugs just behind the manifold and undo the 6 13mm bolts holding down the manifold
IMG_0090.jpg

You are now faced with this
IMG_0091.jpg

Start by undoing the 6 10mm bolts Holding down the Coil packs, they should now just pull out and now use your 16mm plug socket with extension to remove the plugs
IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

Now clean the Runner gasket area with some Metho or petrol and a razor blade( WARNING: TRY NOT TO DIG THE BLADE INTO THE SURFACE AS IT WILL CUT GROOVES INTO EASILY AS ITS ONLY ALLOY) once that is done Place new Gaskets and reverse all the steps and your done
IMG_0095.jpg

eirkal

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Commodore
when replacing the inlet manifold gaskets, do you use sealant before putting the manifold back on??????

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
when replacing the inlet manifold gaskets, do you use sealant before putting the manifold back on??????

Wouldnt hurt, Since it is like $5 for a tin of it

good write up

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Wouldnt hurt, Since it is like $5 for a tin of it

good write up
There's no need for sealant as the gaskets have locating lugs to stop them moving around and once the bolts are in, they wont move.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
God bless my Ecotec. I remember trying to change the plugs on my brothers Camry, wasn't that a royal PITA.

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Excellent tutorial,will save a lot of time when the time comes to change the plugs.
Thanks

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Good How to Mate,

I Had no clue with these and doing a service. No wonder i have never seen the plugs cause did not know you had to pull the whole air intake off lol

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
You make it look too hard mate, just undo the plennum bolts and shove a couple of blocks of wood in between the plennum and manifold. Doesnt matter if you mess up the old gasket, coz it gets replaced anyway. Dont remove the whole thing.

airstyle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
You make it look too hard mate, just undo the plennum bolts and shove a couple of blocks of wood in between the plennum and manifold. Doesnt matter if you mess up the old gasket, coz it gets replaced anyway. Dont remove the whole thing.

He didn't say it was the quickest way, just a way he's done it without hassle. A full R&R makes you learn a lot more than just prying away what's in the way in the hope you'll have space to actually work in.

And I'm pretty sure he was commenting on the lower intake manifold, not the gasket, the gasket is probably paper based, the lower plenum is alloy!

Does anyone have the part numbers for the inlet manifold gaskets? Are they the same between the 175, 190 and 190 '05 update?

Cheers and thanks SLIVZ for the how-to, pictures always make doing **** in the engine bay alot easier :)
Greg.