Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] how to tell a good 2nd hand commodore from a bad one

VS 666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS acclaim
I have been digging and cant find much on how to tell whats good and whats not so I think we should compile a list of things to look at when buying a commodore. We all know to check tyres body and how it drives but there are many more areas to look at to help decide whether or not it needs work or has been thrashed.

As people post other ideas if its okay I'm going to add this to my post and digg up some pictures of what looks good and what looks bad.. so think of this as a rough draft.

What I check

Obvious. water in oil (white mayonaise under cap) and oil in radiator.

cap_mayo.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

TRANSMISSION this is what I do... go on a highway at 80... put it in power mode and put my foot to the floor to
check if it drops back to 2nd... (it may rev up a bit high then clunk in or spend a while thinking then give u what you want... it sounds like a bull being held back by a muzzle).. also take a look under the intake ducting to the throttle body and check to see if trans is covered in oil... also take out trans dipstick and check to see if there is a powdery substance ... the colour should be a nice red not black....

106727d1182397860-transmission-flush-good-or-bad-atf-colors-small.jpg

From bad to good

DIFFI look for moist areas around the cover
32005d1233719779-rear-diff-leak-moved-dsc00433s.jpg

Steering No clunks or excessive shuddering when turning lock to lock whilst still...

BRAKES... Look at discs to see if there is any cracks or areas which are bumpy and whilst test driving give it a semi hard stop (in safe conditions) with your hands lightly on the steering wheel but still ready to grab... the car should brake straight and not veer off in any direction.

Rotor-Right-Rear.jpg

Theres heaps more but my mind has gone blank for now

carra909

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
check the condition of the number plate. most of the time people are to lazy to replace their old numberplate after they have been in an accident and will try to straighten out the old one and use it again.

i saw at least 3 cars with rippled and even punctured number plates when i was looking for my car and sure enough the panels didn't quite line up indicating it had been in an accident, the owners will flat out deny it but that's just a way to help tell

MADDNE33

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vs ute series 3
i heard to cheack the factory stamp located in your engine bay. Holden use hexagon shaped rivets and if crashed bad they may have been replaced with circle ones. Dont count me on this one tho

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Check door jambs, inside guard edges and inside boot edges for paint lines that giveaway repairs.

Check door/guard/bonnet etc bolts for paint missing that means they have been removed.

You could spend all day looking over a car and still not have everything covered

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Take it to a mechanic and ask for them to give it a once over, it is only $20 bucks or so and well worth it...

Also, check in the boot (Under the carpet and under the spare) for rust

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
check around the radiator for any water marks down the side,they have a habit of splitting in the side tanks.
also let the car idle to warm up to make sure the thermo fan kicks in and also that it doesnt overheat

thephilth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute
Make sure the heater works!

Most people probably dont bother to check the heater operation on a test drive ( unless its cold of course) but if the heater radiator is blocked in the car then its a fairly big job to replace it.Dash out and lots of swearing or $$$ paid to someone else to do it.
Rear mains are one to watch also. My 2c.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Make sure its clean when you inspect it.
I bought mine dirty (some BS about water restrictions), and didn't spot the repairs and scratches until after I first washed it

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
Hers a real good one thats gunna make you all think wtf. i know when i have done it in front of the seller they look at me a bit funny but it works.
Pull the dipstick out(engine &/or transmission),look at the oil,is it clean looking or dirty looking? either way the next bits the fun bit,wipe your finger on the dipstick then taste the oil:D
Sounds silly or horrible but,if the vehicle burns oil it will have a burnt taste to it,sometimes you can also taste a grittiness to it which can indicate problems.
The grittiness could be metal filings,carbon deposits etc. You can do a fresh engine oil change but the minute you start the car again the oil becomes tainted if there are problems.
Will also work for power steering fluid.
Reality is whatever used car we buy it will always have at least some minor issues. As long as you are aware of them,its just up to the buyer to decide if they accept these issues.
I have seen vehicles driven by little old ladies sorta thing,they always serviced it.always looked after it etc but it will still have minor leaks & problems. Its the big issues we should look out for.