Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How to get scratches out of clear plastic

Retro Boy

Time Traveller
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Hi guys,
Been registered for a while, but I think this is my first post.

It's been a quite funny road to get my car.
First car I got for my project was a vk commodore which caught on fire due to a fault behind the dash.
Scratch one project and cash.
Second I got, was a VB 308 which unknown to me had the sills bogged up an painted over by some bright spark.
Scratch project two and half my cash.

Third time lucky I scored a VK pursuit commodore which is very impressive rust wise.
The only rust is in the boot lip where the rubber covers it.
None in the sills, none around the windows, none up under the rear screen in the boot.
So it's safe to say, third time lucky.

Anyway, I stumbled on a brilliant way to get fine scratches out of clear plastic.
It won't fix cracks or really deep scratches, but I was amazed at how this worked for a really badly scratched dash cluster cover (the clear plastic overlay).

The answer is Brasso!

The compunds in Brasso act as a mild abrasive and working with plenty of Brasso in a circular motion and then in a crosshatch pattern, it took out hundreds of fine scratches.
There were two areas where there were deep scratches, and this worked as well with a bit of effort.

Make sure you are working with the Brasso while it's wet, and then leave it to dry.
Next polish off the dry Brasso compound.
Next go over it all with a dry clean cloth again, just buffing, with no compound.
Result was almost a brand new plastic dash part.

Hope this helps get rid of your unsightly scraches :p