Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] How to Replace a Flat Battery in a VS Key

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Hi all,

These are the steps I used to get a replacement battery into my keys for the VS. Saved me $200 (two keys)!

Attached (hopefully) is the photos and the steps below.

Enjoy!!

Tools needed:

Philips Screwdriver
Large flat head screwdriver
Small flat head screwdriver
Tube of superglue
Pliers
CR2032 Battery
Cardboard

Steps:

1. Remove all keychains etc from the key and turn it so the screw heads are facing upward.

2. Once the screws have been removed the metal key will seperate from the main key body.

3. Insert a peice of folded cardboard into the opening. Insert the flat head screwdriver into the gap between the two peices of cardboard. This will serve to protect the soft plastc from being dented or damaged by the screw driver.

4. Twist the screwdriver until you hear a crack from the plastic. It may take a bit of force to get the first part to come apart, but take it slow and easy.

5. Now that we have a gap, insert a second folded peice of cardboard around the edge and use the small flat head screwdriver to work your way around the main unit.

6. Once you have the unit apart we can now start working on removing the battery. In case the battery was tacked in place from manufacturing. You may be lucky in that it isn't.

7. Use your small screwdriver again to get under the metal tabs on the battery, lever and twist them free. there are two tacks on each tab. This will take quite a bit of force and will dent the battery and metal tab a bit (don't worry that is what the pliers are for!)

8. Lever the battery up once you have the top free and repeat on the bottom

9. Use the pliers to straighten the metal tabs. Put a bit of a curve on the top one facing down, this will help hold it all in place.

10. Position the new battery in place and put the unit back together - Don't glue it yet, we need to test it!

11. Take the key to your pride and joy and test the remote locking. Not working, try put the key in the ignition for 30 seconds or so. I didnt need to do this, it just worked for me.

12. If all is working and tested, put glue around the edge with the buttons on it and press together until it is set.

13. Once the glue is set then the job is done, put your key chain back on and away you go. $100 better off!

VS dream

Lets go cruising!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executvie SeriesII
great guide, and a great tip on how to save youself alot of money on a stupid thing
thank you!

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996