Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] how to improve your 1/4 miles times

impulsed_sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
there are many simple things u can do be4 heading off the drags to get a better run time some of the ones if heard seem bit out there but the idea behind it seem resonable

1. increase your tyre presse( dunno how this works but ive been told it helps)

2. remove spare tyre and jackfrom trunk and clear out anycrap u may have laying around in ur car

3. when you go to put fuel DONT fill her up only put lik 20 dollers in ( if ur conserned about running out of fuel bring a jerrycan to top it up, higher octane fuel helps alot too and dont be afraid to put in some octane boost it may shave .200 of your time did for me)
-dont have it to empty it can cause a backwash effect wen taking off and cause it to run lean about 1/3 is good(thanks to crew chief)

4. wash ur car( by cleaning of any dirt or dust it may make ur car more streamline and have less friction)

5. warm you tyres up beforeu ur run (spin the wheels a little no need to smoke the place out jsut enought to warm them up)

thats all i got some off them may work better than others or may not work at all but this is wat ive heard
if you guys have any ideas that may help post them up

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
tyre pressures are very subjective. depends on the type of tyre, track conditions and prep, temps etc.

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
Be careful running a low fuel level, hard acceleration can move fuel away from the bucket in the tank and cause it to run lean. I run a full tank everytime. Of course a surge tank would fix this but i'm very lazy......

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
In respect to the above, I think generally just having a fast car helps considerably....I mean if I pumped up the tyres and washed a Hyundai excel, it's still going to do a 1/4 mile in about half an hour.

impulsed_sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
i was more making a point of those little things that you can do and obivlsy adding a turbo will help but those little things that take 2 mins that can affect it
and with the fuel tank thats a good point didnt relise that but wen i ran it wasnt dead empty jsut 1/3

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Haha, yeah I know mate, sorry no offence meant, I was just having a dig in fun because basically everything you listed was common sense (some were dubious, like the effect of having a washed car). But still, probably useful for someone looking to do drags who left his brainstem in bed.

The fuel level and spare tyre is one good point you made however.

An acquaintance of mine has an XR6 drag car, has a 2 litre fuel tank. Just enough fuel to get it to the end of the strip. Imagine the numbers it would be putting out with that sort of mod. Yes it's under 8 seconds.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
remove front sway bar when you get to the track or dissconnect the link pins and tie the bar up out the way will help weight transfew to the rear.take the side mirrors off for the day tape the bonnet edges to gaurds and round the headlights wipers off tape up the grill opening so less air goes through the grill loosen off the front wheel bearings if you have oldschool hubs set front toe in so when it lifts the front it is 0 toe theres lots you can doo for free

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Don't stop at the spare tyre and jack, take everything out of the car you do not need.