Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] Adding a switch to courtesy light.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
To add an on/off switch to the courtesy light you will need to add a small switch to the circuit at the light unit. This will give you full control over the operation of the lamp without complicated wiring.
After first disconnecting the main battery, you will need to remove the cover from the lamp unit - then undo the 4 screws that hold the unit to the roof. Pull the unit downwards slightly and you will see that the unit has 2 orange wires which disappear behind the headlining. Cut either of these wires so that you can solder in a small switch as shown in the picture.
I found it easiest to solder 2 wires about 150mm long to the switch and then feed them thru one of the openings and then solder to the unit. A hole is drilled in the cover for the switch as shown in the picture.
The pictures explain it all. Good Luck.

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 709
  • switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 695
  • finishedlite.jpg
    finishedlite.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 591

MaverickAus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Equipe
Why bother? What's wrong with the switch on the headlight switch?

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Good idea mate , should have used like a round button type switch i reckon instead of that missile type one

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
take the bulb out. i haven't had one in mine for years. i only use the rear passenger courtesy lights which are switch-able