Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] How To Install AU Thermo Fans Into VN-VS V8

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
How To Install AU Thermo Fans Into VN-VS V8​

Tools Required/Recommended
Nice Clean Work Bench (To Fit Shroud And Radiator Would Be Ideal)
Hole Saw (A Collection Of These Is Best)
Hack Saw
Dremel Or Similar File
Small Drill (See Step #16 Otherwise A Cutting disc On The Dremel Is Fine)
Chalk Or White Marker (Chalk Is Easier To Clean Off)
Auto Electrician (For the Wiring)
Patience And Half A Day

Firstly this is the radiator that the fans will be attached to. Find the centre of the radiator and the shroud. Make sure to line these up when test fitting after every cut. Lay the fans over the radiator and you’ll see where most of the cuts need to be made. If you have an Auto, you will need to remove the Trans cooler fittings (cut off) or they can be left on. Mine were left on but the bottom one was bent out the way to avoid the fan possibly hitting it when under full load. Once all these steps have been followed, there may be some trimming needed with a Dremel or file.
Pic #1

Cut off the two end supports on the top edge of the fan shroud.
Pic #2

Pic #3

How it looks without the supports
Pic #4

Cut hole for Top Hose outlet.
Pic #5

Pic #6

Cut the filler neck hole. Start with a hole saw, then cut straight down the edge with a hacksaw.
Pic #7

Pic #8

It should look like this. More filing may be needed after test fitting.
Pic #9

Cut off Driver side and Passenger side lower supports. These foul on the chassis rails.
With Support Passenger Side
Pic #10

Without Support Passenger Side
Pic #11

With Support Drivers Side
Pic #12

Without support Drivers Side
Pic #13

Now cut the radiator hole out. Find a hole saw about 5mm bigger than the inlet (or 2-3mm bigger than the hose) and drill it out. Make sure to lay the shroud over the radiator and measure as good a possible the centre of the inlet. Again it may need filing to touch it up if you’re not 100% accurate.
Hole Started.
Pic #14

Hole finished.

Pic #15

These to slits need to be cut to hold the bottom of the radiator in. The brackets on the bottom of the radiator will slot into them. See First pic for the clips and pic #18 with them fitted.
Pic #16

Now to mount the top. I used Nutserts to srew into but a normal nut and bolt can be used also. Pic below is of the nutserts installed just measure and drill the holes for the shroud accordingly. The holes on the radiator are elongated so if your off by a little it won’t matter too much.
Pic #17

Now test fit everything file more where needed or you think may need more room then fit to radiator. This is how mine fitted up in the end, the bottom hoes could of done with a little more filing as it was a bit tight but fitted up ok as pictured.
Overall Fitment
Pic #18

Pic #19

Top Hose
Pic #20

Filler Neck
Pic #21

Bottom Hose (Note: The cooler outlet bent down to clear the fan, this needed to be bent up slightly as it was hard to get the clamp on the bottom hose. Adjust as needed.)
Pic #22

Now turn on the fans while on the bench to see fit they foul on anything. Turn by hand initially then once your satisfied that it is clear then power up the fans as they will flex at high speed which could cause them to hit.
If everything is fine fit back to the car and either get them up wired to the ECU or use a Davies Craig Thermo Fan Switch. Either way consult an Auto Electrician about this as you will need decent wiring for these because they draw big once at full speed.

Fitment to the car. The A/C hose may need to be bent away a little and the Charcoal canister will need to be moved or bent to make room. Other than these two things it should slot in without any issue.
Pic #23

Pic #25

Pic #26

Notes:
You will need shorter bolts for the water pump pulley. Any fastener shop or auto store can match the bolts you have, just make sure the ones you get are slightly shorter (thickness of clutch fan hub).
From what I have found the fans flow around 3000cfm. I only have one working at the moment off the V6 thermo fan plug and that is turning on at about half way on the gauge (Factory 106 ecu setting) for the other fan I will get a temp sender put in that turns on at about 90 degrees.
The sender will turn on the first fan for low speed (90 degrees) and the ecu turns on the second for high speed(106 degrees).

Last edited:

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
No worries, I was the same looking for decent pics of how this was done. That is why I chucked a thread up on it.

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
How do you go with the bit that the clutch fan was attached to,im told you need shorter bolts otherwise they hit the water pump or something

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
You can use v6 water pump pulley bolts and they work fine.

But yes need shorter bolts just buy some from bolt joint or repco or the like

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
I just replaced them with shorter bolts. Take out the original ones and take them to your local fastener shop and ask for the same ones but slightly shorter. Only the thickness of the clutch fan hub needs to be taken off the bolt.

vscaprice98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs caprice
do u no how much cfm the au fans give m8 looking at doing mine saw ur post when im looking at doing a single 16 inch atm with 2800 cfm

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
From what I have found they flow around 3000cfm. Twins are probably a better option because you can have one to come on at about 90 degrees then the other at around 106 (the factory computer is set at). I only have one working at the moment off the V6 thermo fan plug and that is turning on at about half way on the gauge (Factory 106 ecu setting) the other I will get a temp sender put in that turns on at about 90 degrees for the first fan. Then the ecu turns on the second if the temp gets any higher. Added this info to the first post now too.