Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] HOW TO - VT-VY S1 Foglight install

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
I just completed setting up my fog lights properly. So made a little write up on how to get it done properly. Enjoy

As the title says this is a DIY foglight install, BUT only certain models will have the loom already in the car.

Tools Required

- #2 phillips head screw driver (long and a stubby one)
- Soldering iron/solder
- electrical tape/heat shrink
- Drill with a 15mm or so drill bit
- File (round and a flat one)
- Side cutters
- Holden T5 dash cluster bulb
- Foglight relay (aircon relay is the same)
- Factory foglight switch
- Fog lights (genuine or aftermarket)
- Multi meter

Step 1

- In the engine bay fuse holder, flip the lid over and hunt down the "Fog light relay" as seen in the pictures below. Once located, fit your relay straight into the plug

(NOTE - To make sure your car has the fog light loom check if there is metal pins in the fog light relay posision, if not, ignore the rest of this DIY as its useless for aftermarket foglight looms)
Relay_Cover.jpg

Relay_Position.jpg

Step 2

- Remove Dash facia (2 screws directly below drop down pocket under rubber matt and remove. Then 2 screws at bottom of the top dash section, drop the fuse cover below steering wheel and remove another 3 screws, finally vertical to the speedo cluster there is 2 more screws (stubby screw driver needed)

- Once dash is removed, locate headlight switch plug, taped to this will be the foglight switch plug, untape and pull out.
Foglight_Switch_Plug.jpg

- Now grab your drill and drill out a 10mm~ hole directly below headlight switch hole in the dash fasia.
IMAG0273.jpg

- File out slowly untill the foglight switch clips in neatly and plug in the foglight switch plug ( i traced the outside of the plug onto the dash and used cut/polish to remove the lines once complete)
IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

Step 3

- Remove the front bar ( Open bonnet, 3 screws across the top, 1 screw in each wheel arch, turn the wheel to full lock each way for easy access to each side)

- On each side below the headlights will be a plug with 2 wires connected taped to the factory loom (as pictured below) remove tape and pull it down. My picture doesnt show the factory plug as i had to cut it off to fit aftermarket foglights, genuine and SOME aftermarket fog lights use the factory plug.
IMAG0285.jpg

- Either plug your fog lights in (genuine) or cut off the plug and wire up your fog lights. (Test for positive/negative via multi meter on the wires, turn the switch on you mounted in the dash to test

- Mount the foglights into the front bar and aim the beams correctly

Step 4

- Remove Dash cluster (2 screws, one in each corner) Locate globe holder that lines up to the fog light symbol (Seen in photo below) and insert globe in position and refit cluster
IMAG0248-1.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

- Test out the foglight switch, flick them on and off, check cluster globe, fog lights is all working

- When all confirmed working throw the front bar and dash facia back on and enjoy your 100% factory looking foglight install.
217067_10150155212229463_500874462_6424103_1827184_n.jpg

vysute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 Utility 2004
cheers for this write up! i have a vy s 1 ute so it was all plug and play for me, but because my aircon isn't working i've saved a trip to holden by you saying that the aircon and foglight relay are the same! cheers!

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Very handy mod, thanks to the Op for the write up.

Needsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Commodore Acclaim
Great write up mate can't wait to get my foggys all wired up :)

blue pearl vx commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodre series 2
hey just a quick hint to save some time all the vx commodores i have done this too you dont have to remove cluster to insert thhe globe as they have been fitted at factory

Dronno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec Wagon
Vx fogs

Hi all, my first post!

Great lesson btw, very informative.

I have pretty much followed it, except the part with the dash light, as per a reply saying not needed on the VX. Anyway, I'm not getting a close on the control circuit of the relay. When I bridge the load terminals the lights energize, so that side is good. I've checked continuity of the switch, and I've bridged the terminals of the socket. I've also changed a few relays around so I'm starting to assume that the globe might not be in there, and that it is in series with the switch to energize the relay???

I'd pull the cluster out except there's a phone base thats in the way, but if I have to...

All advice much appreciated.

Dronno.

Renshai1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 S-pack
Hi All

This is probably an old question, but i have had a set of genuine fog lights bezels and switch for my VT s-pack, for the last 6 months now just sitting here, and have decided to install them soon. The wiring and switch isnt the problem, but rather the installation of the bezels and the lamps themselves. I know the bezels fit in the far corners of the air dam, and i know i will have to trim some of my bumper, but is there anything on the net someone might know of, in how to actually go about this. Pics of installation would also be a big help.

All help very much appreciated

Renshai1

Hsv84

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt s2 spac but looks like a vx clubby
Done all that the only prob I have is the wires
behind the bar have constant power even if
switch is off what is my prob can u help

Jarvo6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore
Hey guys,
Was installing my fog lights following all instructions and they won't turn on and the dash light won't illuminate either, it turns my traction control dash globe on and off which is very confusing and annoying, I have replaced both globes in the fog lights and replaced the t5 globe in the dash cluster, all parts are factory and there is no aftermarket parts. Hoping somebody can shed some LIGHT on my situation (mind the little pun there haha) any info would be great thanks fellas