Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] Polishing your car old skool with corn starch?

machone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VHSLE/VXSS/VXEXEC
yep im not mad corn starch but before i get to that lets talk about wax.... before there was meguires mothers and all those expensive polishes out there in the old day we had a a huge range of waxes out there to polish your car.... you had the choice of turtle wax turtle wax and yep turtle wax but it wasnt all bad in fact it was great because it had an ingredient in it called Carnauba this is also known as Queens wax.. its still one of the best products....the great thing about Carnauba is that it has a harder melting point so it is extremely hard wearing...Im pretty sure a lot of leading brands like Meguires have it in there polish look for it its the best....I read an article years ago what the Queens chauffeur uses to polish her majesty's cars...yep it was Carnaubra wax but also with a twist... what he used to do was get the can of turtle wax take the lid off and put the can in a boiling pot of water so the water was just below the can careful not to let water into the can... what this would do was it would melt the wax then he would carefully take the can out of the pot (dont burn yourself here) then put in a few generous drops of eucalyptus oil in the wax.... stir it all up then let it all cool down....what the eucalyptus oil does is it helps the fight against rust...now being a motor head and spending a fortune on my cars new paint job i thought well if its good enough for the Queen then its good enough for my car so i tried it...and to my amazement it never looked better yep my arms were hurting from polishing but it was worth it but one thing annoyed me..... swirl marks i hated them... these days you can get swirl mark removal polishes but for a cheap alternative try corn starch.... It's like this after the car has been washed and buffed, you sprinkle a little cornstarch over the paint... Use a perfectly clean piece of toweling and very light pressure to gently brush the starch across the finish and i mean gentle!!!!. The ultra-fine abrasiveness of the cornstarch will polish out the swirls in the clear coat without actually cutting through it. Blow the residue off when you're done, then throw a little wax at her. She'll be swirl-free and shining like a new.

A word to the wise: Try this on a hidden portion of the paint first just in case the results aren't what you expected....but with my all my cars Ive used Carnauba wax and now and then i heat up the wifes good pot and chuck a bit of eucalyptus oil in it followed by a trip to the pantry for some corn starch...the VH SLE Ive got the paint is two pack and its now 15 yrs old funny how everyone thinks its just been painted lol btw dont go to sick on the corn starch if you do youll have it everywhere less is more in this case....well thats all folks so when your down at autobarn getting the wax bug....for get the expensive brands that promise you that wet look...just find the one that has Carnauba in it :surprise:

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
If it's good enough for the Queen, then it's good enough for me.

Thanks for the tip!

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Good and very interesting tip. No offence, but as for the cornstarch- I shall stick to my Meguiar's scratch remover!
Still quite interesting, especially the eucalyptus oil part.

Cracka

Banned :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
Old Sneakers
Talcom powder also works in place of corn starch. Try to get the unscented stuff though, don't want your car stinking of lavender like a baby change room.