Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] Re-tinting faded reflectors

jamex101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Calais
okay so if anyone's had a vs then they know the problems with the fading reflectors; apparently aftermarket ones don't fade but i've never seen it confirmed or anything but somehow we always end up with reflectors looking something like this:
View attachment 119401
minus the tape around them naturally.
I've been told that having white or white-ish reflectors is actually illegal but once you've been defected for it then you can't use this as a fix; you've gotta get new tail lights. However if you haven't been defected for it then its a brillaint way to keep it looking stock.
the only reason i decided to write this was to compile all the stuff that i found so hard to find out so here goes:

things you'll need:
1) tint - i got this from bursons and it looks like this:
IMG00026-20110624-1238.jpg
the brand is called specialty and its pretty much a nail polish kind of bottle with a brush attatched to a top lid. i shopped around and couldn't find anything in car toys, supercheap or repco and apparently autobarn stock the spray version of the paint pictured above but i didn't find any....
also the only tint VHT do is nightshade so naturally you can't find it in red.
2) some metho and an old rag
3) masking tape

steps:
from here on in it is pretty simple,
1) dip the rag in some metho and clean all the dirt etc off the reflector; don't soak the thing so much that it will eat away at the plastic but just enough to clean it off.
2) mask off the area like so:
IMG00026-20110624-1238.jpg
note i'd be rather careful about this and masking tape is your friend in this case, i'd rather use more than necessary than have my reversing lights tinted red.
3) apply the tint in horizontaly strokes from left to right or swapped over; i was a little hesitant about how much you put on but the tint soaks in fairly well as long as you spread it out to be an even coat.
4) wait for it to dry
naturally it will take a day or so to dry and as it does you may or may not get some high or low lights in the red reflection however if you've applied it evenly it will all have evened out.
5) if you still want it a little darker have another go at it! if worse comes to worst wipe it off with some metho however thats whats the box says and i haven't tried it so do it at your own risk lol
6) finito!

again its a rather simple but i thought i'd compile all the stuff i figured out to save the running around i did!

note if you're planning on finding the spray version then what i'd do is maskign tape off the area as if your using the nail polish and use the masking tape to hold down some newspaper to stop any going onto the other parts of the tail lights.
IMG00029-20110624-1258.jpg
IMG00030-20110624-1305.jpg
IMG00033-20110624-1313.jpg
IMG00034-20110624-1313.jpg

jamex101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Calais
sorry for the late reply mate; its only about 10 bucks from bursons, the spray was 20 i think at autobarn

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Any idea on where to find this nowadays? Can't seem to find any, anywhere