Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VE] Changing The Battery Or Buttons

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Changing The Battery, Buttons Or Key Blade On VE-VEII Remotes

This How-To can be used to change the battery, replace the buttons or replace the key blade for a VE remote. The flip keys should be the same as the only thing that is different is the blade part of the key, the head (button part) is the same.

Tools Needed
Small Screwdriver
Depending on what you are changing you will also need.
New Battery.
New Buttons.
New key Blade Cut To Suit Your Car.

Step 1
This is what you'll start with.

Step 2
Find the small cut out on the side of the remote. Put the screwdriver into this slot and pry it towards the key blade.

Step 3
Keep prying until you can pull it apart with your hand.

Step 4
This is what it will look like.

Step 5
You'll be left with just the head. This is as far as you need to go to replace the blade. If you are replacing the battery or buttons, read on.

Step 6
Stick the screwdriver into the top of the head. Find the gap and push the srewdriver down to lift the buttons away from the backing. Keys that haven't been done before will be hard but once you get it to move and make the gap bigger it will get easier.

Step 7
Once it's apart this is what it will look like.

Step 8
Changing the battery - Pull the battery out and put your new one in.
Changing the buttons - Take the board out of the other half and put it into your new buttons.

Step 9
Reverse the steps to reassemble. Check that it works and your done.

Notes:
The battery can be found at anywhere. It's nothing special, Holden will sell it as a genuine part but it's just a relabelled energizer. Energizer Number is ECR2032BP.
The buttons can be found on ebay for as little as $5-$6 delivered or at any Holden dealer.

Last edited:

daveb8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hope I'm not bothering anyone by bringing this post up.

I appreciate your how-to, even though I actually found it after I spent all afternoon working out how to do it.

Problem I have now is the key doesn't work. I assume you didn't have this problem??

I can stand next to my car pushing all the buttons and it's like it isn't even my car. It's frustrating!

Any suggestions?

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
I haven't had this problem and have done 2 keys. This may sound stupid but check that the battery is in the right way around. You can see in step 7 which way around it should be.

daveb8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Yeah I didn't take the battery out but it might be dead as it hasn't been working too well lately. I'll try a new battery.....

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Hopefully it's that simple.

daveb8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
It wasn't that simple.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Hmmmmm, that sucks. What was the issue?

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
I know this is a big dig, but just wanted to say thanks :)

worked a charm swapping over new buttons thanks to this quick guide

Chunkstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 my10
remote stuffed

It wasn't that simple.

Yer same thing happened to me today. Remote was working, changed buttons, now it's stuffed?

Any advice out there? Does it need to be binned or reprogrammed by Holden? Can I do it myself?

Bruce83

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE Wagon
Yer same thing happened to me today. Remote was working, changed buttons, now it's stuffed?

Any advice out there? Does it need to be binned or reprogrammed by Holden? Can I do it myself?

Same thing happened to me today - replacing the buttons + charged battery was a sinch but it wouldn't work unlocking the car then. My dad had a similar problem with his (not a Holden) and said it only worked once he manually unlocked and started the car up so it could sync. Tried this a few times, still no luck. Anyone got any other tips or is it a job for Holden? Hopefully not!