Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] Install a VZ SS Automatic shifter into VT/VX (working Button)

JohnyRock

Live Long Rock Hard!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VX Executive (V6)
Hi guys thought id post this to show you that it is actually possible to put a VY/VZ shifter into a VT/VX...

this will take quite abite of modification to the shifter shaft the little plastic bit used to select gears and you will also have to fabricate a linkage for between your shifter and the gear selector.. but when its done it works perfect and soo smooth, feels factory..

Step 1..

Remove your original shifter, you will have to pull out the shifter surround and also the whole center console peice. to remove the shifter after you have removed the center console you will have to take the screw from out the front of the shifter out and remove the pin from the gear selector down the bottom

RemovePin.jpg

Step 2
After you have done that you will have to file down the shifter shaft, to do this you will have to file it down bit by bit while checking it with the shifter, to do this file it down untill the screw in the front goes directly into the front of the shaft..

filedown.jpg

Step 3
Next you will want to take your fabricated linkage and get a spring no bigger than 6mm in diameter and cut it down 1 link at a time untill if fits perfect at the bottom of the linkage and still has enough spring to push the linkage back up when you let go of the shifter button, for a linkage i used a 9.5mm peice of 1020 cold drawn steel and machined it down to the same specs as the orignal linkage, this is alot of trial and error so keep patient!

here is what it looks like with the spring in
0714111727-00.jpg

you are ganna have to do alot of this your self, alot of it cant be explained like the mesurements of the linkage and stuff you have to take your time and file it down bit by bit untill its at the right length, as i said this is all trial and error so be prepared to be there for a while.

after your confident it works properly with the spring and you have it at the right length you are ganna wanna put the pic back in and make shure it working smoothly..

you may have to shave a little bit off the splastic gear selector bit depends how you mesurements turn out..

make shure you spray some lubricant in there just to make it work a little smoother!

once its all working nicely you can put everything back together and put your new shifter on, slide it over the linkage and screw it back on and if it all worked properly you will have it working and passable for rego..

im sorry my instructions aint the best but its hard to explain this type of thing, iv never seen this done before , i have seen 1 or 2 people with them in but the button dont actually work.. heres a few more pics, any questions just ask and ill answer the best i can :)

0716111159-00.jpg

0716111213-00.jpg

0716111244-01.jpg

0716111548-00.jpg

0716111548-01.jpg

0716111548-02.jpg

uNEEk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 V6 EQUIPE
good stuff mate, glad to see all the bits came together nicely, tidy lookin car.. :) love the interior

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
mad i love the intirior too

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
PAC or Aerpro steering wheel control adaptors.

H/U needs to be steering wheel control compatible.

EDIT: Looking at your car pictures I'm guessing you have a SPH-DA01 , and having a look at Pioneers website, it is steering wheel ready.

EDIT: Here you go mate http://www.aerpro.com.au/chart/HOLDEN Commodore VT 97_99.pdf

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
for the VT or the VY adapter? which one did you use....?

I would imagine the VT one would be used. That would be the one that would connect to the factory plus, as the VYs used a different H/U plug.

Since quite a few people have put VY steering wheels in VT and I haven't read that the controls don't work, I assume Holden didn't really change anything in the steering control signals between the models.

Mr max

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore
5 years later.. has anyone else done this? Any tips, measurements for the linkage would be much appreciated.
Looking at the pics he seems to have soldered something onto the metal rod so it can push down on the spring but I can't quite make it out...
If I didn't need the button I would just swap the chrome leather shifter grip over but it won't let me change gears without it.

moriati

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s
Hi guys i put a vy gear shifter in my vx but not the way it was explained in the post if you file down the shaft so the hole on the vy handle matches the hole on the shaft the handle comes down to far and if you try to change the gears manually you can only get down to 3rd gear you can't get down to second and first because the bottom of the handle touches the gear shift surround. So what i did is i took the gear shaft down to first gear slid the vy handle down the shaft far enough not to touch the gear shift surround do all this with the surround fitted so you know how far to bring down the vy handle without touching give it about half inch clearance then using the hole on the vy handle mark the position of the new hole on the shaft with a marker then drill the new hole on the shaft and you should be able to work out the mesurements for the linkage as for the linkage i used the existing one from the vx handle i cut of the button and straightened the linkage by heating it up gently then filing it thin enough to fit the hole on the button of the vy . but it still wont be long enough to touch the the top of the vy button when you slide it over the shaft. so you will need to make a small extension this is where you need to mesure the distance from the the top of the linkage to the top of the vy button when the button is in the vy handle. with a piece of thin round plastic with a hole in it so it will fit over the end of the linkage and touch the top of the inside of the button on the vy handle . And you dont need any additional springs there is a spring inside the vy handle that operates the button plus there is a spring right down the bottom where the linkage touches a piece with a built in spring . I tried to upload some photos but were to large to upload i will try again with smaller size photos

Attachments

• 20170416_004844-1.jpg
    20170416_004844-1.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 408
  • 20170416_004738-1.jpg
    20170416_004738-1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 985
  • 20170417_231223-1.jpg
    20170417_231223-1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 363
Last edited: