Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VL] How to fix VB-VL Indicator Auto Cancel/Return

Excale

Aussie N Proud!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 5sp Manual[SOLD], VN V6[SOLD],VR S 5sp
Do your indicators on your VB-VL not auto cancel after you turn a corner? I searched the forums like a mad man trying to find some information why my VL's indicator wouldn't auto cancel, but with no success i decided to pull my steering wheel off and try and work out where my problem was!

Firstly, if you have an aftermarket steering wheel installed then that may be your problem!

IF NOT....

Try this:

1.) Remove your steering wheel - Pull horn pad off, then unscrew the little gold screws and remove the gold plate.

2.) You will now see a black rectangle black box, Wedge a flat head screw driver into the side of it and pop it off!

3.)Undo the nut in the middle a few turns (DO NOT REMOVE NUT YET!), (this will save your face/nose/head when the steering wheel finally comes flying off!)
Place both feet next to your pedals and place both hands on the steering wheel and pull as hard as you can while banging it at the same time. (WD-40 helps and wear gardening gloves when you bang and pull the steering wheel as your palms will hurt after constant pulling/banging! Once steering wheel has come off you can NOW remove the middle nut.

4.) You will now see this
IMG_0485.jpg

5.) There are 2 black springs (well ment to be), if you only have 1 spring or no springs then this is why your indicators wont return/cancel!

6.) This is what you will need to buy!
IMG_0484.jpg

7.) Now just pop the new springs into the holes and in reverse order put everything back together and enjoy!
untitled.jpg

GirlwiththeVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Executive Commodore
Thanks for the thread! Now i know how to fix mine!

Excale

Aussie N Proud!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Glad it's helping people! cheers aussie revhead for posting that too

Excale

Aussie N Proud!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Would the VS be the same?

I think VS has the same sort of design but im not 100% sure, I slighly remember pulling my VR steering wheel off and seeing 2 return springs so id say so.

rosek79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl ommodore 86
Hi guys new here just read the how to fix indicators what next if that first step has already been done and indicators still don't work???