Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VY] How to Install Front Power Window Regulators into a VY

MEESEN

"SOON"
Reaction score
Members Ride
'03 VY
How to Install Front Power Window Regulators into a VY

Ok, This isnt covered in the "How to install Power Windows" thread so ill quickly cover it for anyone interested...

What You'll need:
  • 2 People
  • 10mm spanner or socket
  • Rivet Gun
  • Pop Rivets (to fit holes)
  • 4mm Drill Peice
  • Drill
  • Door looms with Power Window Connecter
  • T15 torx driver

What You'll need to do:

1. Remove your door trim & Remove the plastic
    IMAG0321Custom.jpg

2. Remove Speaker and Side mirror (done buy supporting mirror and removing 3 T15 Screws then disconnecting the wiring)
    IMAG0323Custom-1.jpg

3. Remove original wiring and replace with door looms that have a power window connection
  4. Re attach side mirror
  5. Wind the window down 1/4 of the way (so its 3/4 up) and have your assistant hold the glass supporting its weight
  6. Remove the two 10mm bolts on the slide rail
    CopyofIMAG0321Custom.jpg

7. Drill out 4 pop rivets (your assistant now has the whole weight of the glass)
    IMAG0322Custom-1.jpg

8. Remember how the regulator is attached to the glass and then maneuver the regulator until you can get it out
  9. Slide in new electric regulator and attach to glass rails
  10. Line up the regulator support bracket with the 4 holes you previously drilled out and rivet into place (Your assistant may need to raise or lower the glass a tad)
    IMAG0322Custom-1.jpg

11. Re-fit the slide rail with the two 10mm
    CopyofIMAG0321Custom.jpg

12. Connect Door loom to the new regulator
  13. Check to make sure it moves up and down freely
  14. Replace Plastic & Door Trim

and your done! :)

Craigis

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY Executive
Cheers for that mate but I had already sorted it out lol also I had spare 10 bolts from the car I removed the regs fro
So I used them instead of rivets
I hate rivets

Cheers anyway

ls1 tiga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7 s2
awesome!!!
so this is straight foward? for a novice?
what is the time this roughly takes?
instead of putting new rivets in, is it possible to use bolts?
and is there anything thing else i should know? little handy tips or secrets?

cheers

lowther

Reaction score
Thanks for that. The photos and description made it an easy job. I was working one out so I clamped wood either side of the window running down to the door to stop the window falling. Don't tighten the clamps too much, I used two small slide clamps. Easy to get the crank out with the window 1/4 down.
Cheers Geoff.

scott calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Thanks for the write up. Took under an hour. But. T20 torx for the mirror and 5mm drill size made it easier. My ebay regulator cost $50 and bolted on rather then with rivets.

scott calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Oh. And two rolled up newspapers work well as insurance against my 14 year old helper dropping the glass

redka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Commodore
Hi Meesen,
Thanks for the post, was very helpful when replacing a VX drivers auto window regulator today. I should have followed your instructions more closely, as I was trying to remove the window from the 'brass' u shaped guide instead of removing the 10 mm bolts and rivets first, which would allow you to slide the regulator off the 'brass' guide. In the end took about 90 mins but that was with a bit of stuffing around.

For anyone asking about the rivets versus bolts to hold the new regulator, I got a new after market one from Express Car Parts in Aust. They came with 5mm bolts which bolt directly into the new regulator.

Something that may help anyone else with determining if you need to replace the regulator. My was working up/down, but when it came to the top or bottom it would not stop and created a loud clicking/knocking noise. The teeth on the old one were fine, it was basically the motor was not recognising the torque of when fully opened or closed. I only say this as I could not find a reference to it on the web with this problem, so hope it may help someone else. New one installed, and no more noise.

With the VX you do not need to remove the mirror, but definitely remove the speaker. I had to do this by my self, so just had some timber and cloth supporting the window when I removed the regulator. Be care not to scratch any window tint when your taking out the old regulator, possibly throw an old towel between it and your window.

Cheers