Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [My VX] How to make your stock lights look aftermarket

Demoniak

Like a pig in kaakaa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE 6.0 SS Ute, 02 VX II SS Sedan
So i was looking around for something different for my car and didnt know which way to go.

The altezza lights are just too chromy and didnt suit the red of the car so i opted to try and smoke up the lights myself.

The good thing about doing it this way is that not only did i do the taillights but also did the break lights and the indicators all for under $25.
I also had enough spare to do the front lights. But im not too sure of the legalities of smoked front lights.. so i opted not to.

Anyway heres what you will need for the task.

Tools Needed:
----------------
Bucket with warm soapy water
Spray and wipe bottle filled with warm soapy waterr
Cloth
Scissors
Stanley blade / box cutter (sharp)
Your wifes/mum's Hair dryer
Credit Card / Drivers licence
A lot of patience and time.
Smoked film ( i bought a 400x1200 sheet which was enough for my entire car)
IMG_0185.jpg

Step 1
Clean the Tail Light
Clean the surface of the Tail light with soap water to ensure all debris are removed from the surface the Light.

Step 2
Remove the Vinyl from the protective sheet. Carefully remove the vinyl from the sheet and spray the vinyl's adhesive side with Soapie Water.
The Soapie Water will prevent the Overlay's adhesive from sticking while you apply it the Tail Light

Step 3
Spray and Apply the Overlay on the Tail Light. Carefully apply/align the vinyl on the Tail Light and smooth out as much crease as possible by using your fingers. Use the vinyl squeegee to push out all the soapie water on the front face of the Tail Light. The more soapie water you push out the less bubbling there will be.
Note: Make sure the crease are evenly distributed on the Overlay, therefore you can easily smooth it out with a hair dryer and Squeeze
IMG_0188.jpg

Step 4
Carefully pull and fold the side inward. If necessary, use the hair dryer to soften up the vinyl and squeegee out all the crease

Step 5 Heat, Pull, Stretch
Heat up the crease and begin stretching and pulling the vinyl. You will notice the crease smoothing out. Stretch it and align the edges. Don't be alarm if you over stretch it. It is okay. The excess vinyl can be easily cut.
Note: Do not over heat. Overheating will cause bubbling. Patience is key here. Take your time!! Don’t rush

IMG_0190.jpg

Step 6
Trim the edges (Optional)
Heat up the excess vinyl (heating up the vinyl will soften it and makes it easy to trim) and trim Note: Don't worry if you over stretch the vinyl. Any excess vinyl protruding can be easily remove using an exacto knife.
IMG_0191.jpg

Step 7 Allow the film to dry for 45 minute before wiping off any excess soapie water. Any excess liquid left under the film may cause fogginess. This is perfectly normal during the curing process. The film is breathable and fogginess will evaporate within a few weeks.
And thats it. The whole process took around 1 hour cause i was being pedantic with the film. But i would allow that if you were doing all the lights.

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

Last edited:

ToMMMaY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina S Pac SII L67 Turbo Project
Personally i think the standard ones look better
but to set them off you need to do your window tints dark then it should suite nice

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR V6 Turbo Ute, 99 STI EJ207 GT FORESTER
Finally someone with similar taste to me, did this to my lights ages ago looks a million times better than stock. Hardly think a RWC is needed for such a miniscule modification

Demoniak

Like a pig in kaakaa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE 6.0 SS Ute, 02 VX II SS Sedan
or you could just spray them with VHT niteshades.... just sayin.

You can do that, this way means its consistent (spray relies on the person being even with the spray strokes). It also protects the lights more and can be peeled off if i dont want it anymore.

I think it looks much better

looks different. i guess its not rwc ?
Its not modifying the vehicle at all. Brake lights still shine red, indicators still shine orange. Reverse still shines white. No defects here.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Its not modifying the vehicle at all. Brake lights still shine red, indicators still shine orange. Reverse still shines white. No defects here.

According to my RWC guideline rules, Rule 106.03 states that a vehicle can not pass a road worthy certificate with tinting on any lamps