Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] Removing window tint

ozdash

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Series 1 Wagon
Hi l've just had to put my wagon through a Victorian RWC and i got knocked for my front side windows for being
too dark,so I had to remove it..yay....

So i removed the front door trims and peeled the tint off leaving a nice sticky mess .
so out with a trusty razor and away I went only to find it didn't work to well, so a coffee later I grabbed a rag and the degreasser sprayed a little on the rag wiped a small area on the window and then tried the razor again and it softened the glue nicely and it scrapped off with ease , a bit of glass cleaner and job done.
2 windows done in just over an hour.

Cheers Darren.

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
just use a spray bottle off water/dish liquid. it acts as a lube for the razor. youll find thats what most tinters use to lube the tint before install too..very rare a tinter unless they are proud off their work ,remove door trims to remove or install tint

Nvs-Vs-s

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s
Ive just gone through the exact same thing with my Vs, mine passed its pink slip but i was told i needed too get it done. So i figured #### paying the $100 tinters charge too remove tint and went about the same rout as you have. I just modified my razor abit with some tape and abit of cardboard so my fingers didnt get extremely sore lol. And i used some metho too clean the left of glue off which worked well. The intial tint comes off a piece of piss but getting the film/glue underneath it off is a real pain in the ass.

Once you get a technique worked out it becomes easy though, the only parts i struggled with was the corner of the windows where it was abit fiddly and i couldnt quite get my hand in there.

ozdash

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Series 1 Wagon
I used a "Stanley Knife" blade for the corners.

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
A steam gun works best if you have it. Plus you dont risk scratching the window with a blade. Thats how the pros do it.

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1 5.0L, VN 'S' Pack project, VY S2 5.7
if you use a stainless blade, and use it properly, its very hard to scratch the glass. unless your name is frank spencer. . . Sounds like youve nutted it out though darren good work. I removed some old dodgy film off a mates VX the other day, took me 50 mins to remove the door trims, strip the film off the 4 doors and rear screen, remove the glue, and put the door trims back on, all clean ready for re-tinting. Without breaking a sweat. (*cough* humble brag *cough*) Granted ive got nearly 12 years of tinting under my belt but haha :D
Anyway, my point is anyone can do it, and the more you do it the easier it gets. However your almost guaranteed to come across some kind of cheap ass died based film thats been on the rear screen of some car in 40 degree summer days for a decade, then you can kiss your whole day good bye removing that crap. Properly :p

Lazyr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII R8 CLUBSPORT VE SS v2 monaro hsv avalanche 46
However your almost guaranteed to come across some kind of cheap ass died based film thats been on the rear screen of some car in 40 degree summer days for a decade, then you can kiss your whole day good bye removing that crap. Properly :p

sounds like my vc sl/e lol

AKA_VT2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6
how do you go with the rear window de-foggers??

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1 5.0L, VN 'S' Pack project, VY S2 5.7
how do you go with the rear window de-foggers??
find as much elbow grease as you can, and go with that :D
Obviously cause you cant scrape the glue off cus of the demister lines (unless you got a steady hand and a bundle of patience), basically once you get the film off, its all elbow grease with steel wool and a bitta liquid lubrication.
There are other ways, like using glue dissolvents to soften the glue, then scraping (or "plowing" if you will) the glue off with like a gold teflon card so it doesnt harm the glass or demister lines etc...
You could also use a steamer to take the tint off, and if your lucky, a large majority of the glue will come off with it.
There are a whole heaps of techniques to use, ive tried my fair share over the decade, but you can near bet your balls you wont always have it easy, it just comes down to patience and persistence ;)