Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How to remove moisture from your lights without removing your lights!

Luke V8

AKA Luke!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSV
Hi,

Tried something out last night that worked. I changed some parkers in my headlights the other day and they obviously did not have a good seal. Within a few days the whole light unit had fogged up and beads of moisture were in the unit.

People suggest removing the lights, baking for a few minutes to dry out or a hair dryer etc..

I had a good size bag of silica (it was in some speakers that i recently purchased) but you can find them in boxes for shoes, bags etc...

This stuff

silica-gel.jpg

All i did was make a very small hole in the corner and put some dental floss through (it's all i had to hand!).. Took out the hi-beam bulb (in a VE) and pushed it through (being very carefull not to break the bag as you do not want the silica gel balls rolling around your lights!). Tied the end to a cable in the engine bay and left it in over night.

Checked the light this morning and all the moisture was gone and the lens looked perfect again. Took the bag out and it was moist. I'll leave it to dry and then reuse it if i ever need to.

The whole process took about 4 minutes and meant that i didn't need to remove the lights or mess around.

mayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VTII
lol ill give this a go and see if it works