Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VE] Usb, aux cable in front compartment on a series ii

salute the ute

DRIVING IS A PASSION
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute Series II Perfect Blue
I was sick and tried of having to go through my center console to get to my USB to play music. I figured out a way to move it and i thought i'd put it up for anyone else who wants to do it as well.

NOTE: At the bottom of the thread there is an updated or other way you can move the usb to the front which I find to be more effective.

(I'm not responsible for any damage or voiding of warranty if something goes wrong)

Tools: Car panel removing tools, i picked these up from JayCar, you could use a screw driver but I advise using these tools.
Car Panel Removing Tools - Jaycar Electronics

Step 1: If you look on both the drivers and passenger side you will see a scrivet in the corner of the panel. Both sides are the same, I chose the passenger side.
12.jpg

Step 2: Use the 1st tool and wedge up both sides of the scrivet and use the gap in the middle to lift it up.

productLarge_13484.jpg

Step 3: Pull down the panel, the two parts should come down together to the back near the center console.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Step 4: using the tool in the far right of the picture above, wedge the tool on one side of the cover and it should pop out. You will hear a loud crack noise but the is okay as its just the clip being un clipped.

5.jpg

55.jpg

Step 5: I used a plain cord for the extended usb cable though i advise using one that is surrounded by a wired weave. push it through the hole and thread it through to the removed side.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Step 6: Put the small panel back on that we removed earlier. Make sure the cable is tight from the glove box to the hole as you want the cable to be tight.

8.jpg

Step 7: Place the cable close to the top and try and secure it.

9.jpg

Step 8: grab the Apple usb cable and thread it through to the front. wrap he back around the metal support bar. Make sure you are happy with the length that is shown as wrapping it around the support bar stops it from coming out to far.

You can always just push it through so its not all seen.

95.jpg

10.jpg

Step 9: connect the two cable together and make sure you test that it works. Put all the panels back and your done.

11.jpg

UPDATE:

Step 1: Buy a male mini USB to female USB plug like this

IMG_3888_zps25469def.jpg

IMG_3889_zpsb4f6d8d7.jpg

IMG_3891_zps37289d09.jpg

Step 2: Take the drivers side panel down like it in step 3 in the first section.

Step 3: There is a cable that is located towards the back, its a male and female mini USB that join. All function to the USB point in the center console will not be usable.

IMG_3892_zps6d987d2a.jpg

IMG_3893_zps6ce7883b.jpg

Step 4: I had to cut my plug to fit perefectly.

IMG_3894_zps3c79eb60.jpg

IMG_3896_zpse31c39e4.jpg

IMG_3897_zps1ac147f1.jpg

Step 5: Follow step 8 in the first section

Step 6: Put all the panels back on.

Hope this helps.

Any questions just ask :)

Last edited:

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Good work mate but IMO i would not wrap the wires around that steal upright because it will make it difficult to replace the kick panel. Also I would be getting usb cords that are closer to the exact length you need because you lose power over long runs of USB which will decrease charging speeds.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Not a problem mate, you may also wish to use thicker higher quality cords with less resistance depending on your results.

gleembru

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SSV Z wagon
G'day, console in my new beast damaged my new iPhone cable, so hunted and found your thread...Although I cant see the update. Got a link?
Also, could pm ya coz said your pm full... apparently.
Cheers, Glenn