Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] Custom VX Parcel Shelf

MY_84_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina/VX S Pac
Hi All, I started to add this How To to my build thread but figured it would be better off and seen more in the how to section so here it goes;

What you'll need;

-Stretchy Fabric
-Spray Glue
-Fiberglass resin and Catalyst
-Gloves
-Paintbrush and Mixing Cup

How it all started;

I never much liked the parcel shelf in the vx so I put grills in with 6x9 speakers in but still wasn't happy and the speakers aren't really needed if you already have 4 in the doors.
So I picked up another parcel shelf from the wreckers and decided that it would look better if it was all smoothed out, without the lines for the grills and the centre mount for a baby seat.
Forgot to take a photo of the shelf beforehand, so this is one I found on the net.

123158k_20.jpg

So here it goes;

First of all I got a hold of some stretchy fabric, as you can probably tell from the photo my dad is actually a car upholsterer so I have some of this gear on hand but it can be bought from any spot light store.
You will also need some spray glue, I have it fed from a gun and a compressor but you can pick up some spray can glue from your local super cheap auto that will do the job too.
Now what you want to do is stretch the fabric over the shelf allowing it to sit raised above the lines that you want to cover up and glue it down. Make sure you get your curves right here and glue it only where you need too.
The second shot shows where I've glued. The arrows point to where I've glued and the striped area in the centre shows where not to glue.

DSCF0753.jpg

DSCF07533.jpg

Now grab your fiberlassing kit its time to get messy!
Now you will need to get some disposable gloves cause this stuff gets everywhere and really sticks.
You will probably wanna grab a mask too cause this stuff smells awful and will give you a headache.
Now mix up your fiberglass resin, make sure you mix up the right amount as directed so it hardens properly.
Lay your matting down one piece at a time (cut this beforehand) and brush on your resin until the whole shelf is covered.

DSCF0752.jpg

DSCF0754.jpg

DSCF0755.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED....

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I'm curious to know what the purpose of doing this is?

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
WTF?
This thread should be deleted as it nots a how to...its a more of a how to start.....

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
By the look's of it he cracked a grumpy....Because no one was looking?

I'd say more people would look if it was a complete 'How To'...

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Yeah no joke

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Cause I hated the middle part of the shelf where the baby seat bolts in, wanted it nice and smooth, no one seems to have really looked at the thread though, so I probably won't even finish the thread

I believe that would be the reason.

Lol cheers for the support guys, geez. I would love to finish it but with work and among other more important things I just haven't had the time to finish it, I'll eventually get there its on my list of a billion things to do, lol

Good stuff.
Quiet intrested to see how this turn's out.
Havent seen too many pimped parcel shelf's.