Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VY] VY Series 2 Wiring Foglights

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
So it seems a few people out there have been asking how to wire up the foglights for the series 2 VY which doesnt have the loom. I did this about 18months ago so i dont have many of the photos but you should be able to do it all with what i have here.

What you'll need:

2 Foglights
New headlight switch with foglight function built in
1 Relay (i got this pretty cheap from holden and it has a nice diagram on it as to how it should be wired)
2 Male connectors to match up to the connections on the foglights (got these from repco as a whole connection but just used the male part)
15A wire (2 colours)
15A spade fuse and holder
5A wire (1 colour)
Connectors to connect wire to relay
Connector to fit on back of new switch
Solder and soldering iron
Heatshrink

BEFORE STARTING DISCONNECT THE BATTERY

Step 1: Remove headlight switch. I did this by prying it out with 2 screw drivers. It has to spring tabs holding it in which you are supposed to be able to reach from underneath to get it out but i couldnt get it to work and this method seemed ok.

Step 2: Remove harness from back of switch and check that you have a connector that will fit the little connectors on the back of the switch. Once you know it fits see how well it fits inside the plastic harness connector. Mine didnt so i used a 3mm drill to ease out the hole till it fitted.

Step 3: Connect 5A wire to connector and install into plastic holder and then connect to headlight switch. You may need to force the connector on separately depending on what size it is.

This photo shows where in the harness you need to connect it up to. Anywhere else and it wont work.

IMG_0053.jpg

Step 4: Run 5A wire from switch through a grommet in the firewall through to where you are going to install the relay.

Step 5: Run 15A wire from the Positive of the battery. Install 15A spade fuse as close to the battery as possible. Run 15A wire to relay. Before relay splice in the 5A wire and run this to the Relay as well.

Step 6: Connect 15A and 5A wire to relay. Connect 5A wire from headlight switch to the opposite side of the relay as the 5A wire that feeds in. You should be able to see from the little diagram on the back of the relay as to how this should work.

Step 7: Remove front bumper and install foglights

Step 8: Run 2 15A wire down to the foglights. I ran mine down past the horn and then inside the front bumper support to get to the left hand side.

This is how i did it before rewiring. The wires dropped down in front of the radiator and looked terrible but i have rewired it inside the support they are taped to since then to make it neater.

IMG_0057.jpg

Step 9: Connect 15A wires up to male connectors along with a 15A wire of a different colour. Make sure your wires match up (positive to positive, negative to negative) across the connection.

Step 10: Run the negative side of each foglight back up to the negative side of the battery. I think you can earth these wires but its a short distance and also thats how i wired them and never had any issues.

STEP 11: RECONNECT THE BATTERY AND ENSURE THE FOGLIGHTS ARE WORKING BEFORE RE-INSTALLING ANYTHING

Step 12: Re-install headlight switch and front bumper.

Here's a wiring diagram showing how the circuit should look for it to function properly

foglightswiring.jpg

Any problems i'll do my best to help.

AlexJun

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Vy s series 2.
Awesome post!
sorry i couldnt reply fast xD
was caught up with work.... Thanks Heaps for the guide! i will try them when i get some time! hopefully next week!!
thanks again mate!:thumbsup:

Holden vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Berlins
hey guys sorry to but in,really need help
i got my fog lights installed working and all but they are controlled by a separate switch that's taped to the dash (looks like crap), Ive got the ss fog light switch and was wondering if anyone knows how to wire it up?
cheers

Rosco994

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy V6 S2 Ute
Good job mate, I have been planning on doing this to my ute for a while. Just need to trackdown the foglight assembly now. Will give it ago in a week or 2.

vy2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hi all

First off thanks for the info

Was after some help

I want to do the exact same setup as above - i have no wiring etc in place, so will need to make my own wiring, and put in a foglight capable headlight switch

I want to use a normal relay though (narva for example), not one from holden

A standard relay has the following pins - accessory (87), power in (30), ground (85), switch (86) - dont quote me on the pin numbers

Based on the above diagram however, it shows that one pin goes to accessory (the foglights), one pin goes to switch source (headlight switch), however the other two pins in the diagram appear to be going to power (battery) ? i.e. no ground connected to the relay

Or is the headlight switch completing the ground when pulled out/activated?
(or what is actually activated when headlight switch is pulled to activate foglights - does it make a ground, or send a 12v + power?)

If anyone has done this with a normal relay e.g. narva one, can you let me know what pin number you connected to what

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
heres a vy headlight wiring diagram that might help
dont mind the edited stuff on there thats for what i was looking at doing

you have the numbers and descriptions correct for the relay

im not sure how the switch works so cant tell you how to wire it up in respects to only being on when the parkers are on (i think the switch wont pull out unless the parkers are on negating the need to use the parkers as the switch wire and putting a switch between that and the relay

looking at the wiring diagram it looks as if the foglight switch earths it
so just basing this off the wiring diagram that i dont 100% understand i would do the following
(87) to fog lights
(30) power
(85) to switch
(86) power

which seems to follow the same as the above diagram

Attachments

• VYHeadlitediagram_zpsbc8ac06b.jpg
    VYHeadlitediagram_zpsbc8ac06b.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 12,046
Last edited:

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
When the headlight switch is pulled out it grounds the wire running from the relay so thats why there is no need to run a return back to the battery
I'd have to have a look at the drawing at the top of the relay to be sure as to what pins to use

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Hi all

First off thanks for the info

Was after some help

I want to do the exact same setup as above - i have no wiring etc in place, so will need to make my own wiring, and put in a foglight capable headlight switch

I want to use a normal relay though (narva for example), not one from holden

A standard relay has the following pins - accessory (87), power in (30), ground (85), switch (86) - dont quote me on the pin numbers

Based on the above diagram however, it shows that one pin goes to accessory (the foglights), one pin goes to switch source (headlight switch), however the other two pins in the diagram appear to be going to power (battery) ? i.e. no ground connected to the relay

Or is the headlight switch completing the ground when pulled out/activated?
(or what is actually activated when headlight switch is pulled to activate foglights - does it make a ground, or send a 12v + power?)

If anyone has done this with a normal relay e.g. narva one, can you let me know what pin number you connected to what

You can use this diagram if you like to wire the fog lights.
It's a standard wiring diagram to add extra lights.
The fog lights will only come on when the car's lights are switched on and they are controlled by a normal on/off switch.
Have a look at the diagram and get back to me if you have any questions.

Please disregard the last sentence quoted in the diagram description.....This is NOT the way to install Driving Lights,
as they have to be wired to the high beam side of the lights.
What I meant to say is....."This diagram is the standard way you would install DRL's or Fog Lights".