Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] how to remove and replace gen 3 rocker cover gaskets

capitalgainz

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 berlina gen3
parts needed :
rocker cover gaskets
2012-05-31-075.jpg

sealant
degreaser
big thing to wash parts in

tools needed:
8mm socket
10mm socket
razor
ratchet

i changed my oil when i did this as it made more sense i would advise doing this so there is no oil spillage.......
my engine cover doesn't exist as i dont see a need to keep the fuel injectors warm but if yours is, remove this,
starting on the drivers side, unplug the blue clip to the coil pack loom connector, unplug the coil pack connector, using the 10mm socket undo the 2 bolt/nut things,1xbolt and two nuts(under the two nuts is a braket which is attatched to 2 more nut/bolt things) holding the coil pack rack to the rocker cover be careful one bolt is hidden right near the back and the master cylinder for the brake is in the way, then you un plug the 4 spark plug boots, undo breather tubes, there should be 2 one at the front one at the rear, i started with the front of the car then made my way back, lift the coil pack assembly out, now you will see 4 8mm nut heads
2012-05-31-079.jpg
, undo these and remove the rocker cover, use the razor to clean up the flanges, only if they need it you may not have had some muppet use sealant everywhere :/ but be careful not to get shtuff in the engine.
2012-05-31-080.jpg

pull the bolts in the rocker cover out there are rubber things on them, i did not know this and when i purchased the gaskets these were not included so i had to use sealant to ensure i could reuse with out the leaking.

clean the rocker cover using degreaser or what ever else you find that gets the carbon and crap off, i used degreaser, brake cleaner, fire, acid and high preasure water and a air gun and metho to clean mine (carbon build up is a sign of **** oil etc etc etc)
now i used sealant for the bolt rubber bits, push them back through the rocker cover, insert rubber gasket, gasket has a lip and grove you should place the thinner side in the rocker cover gasket groove, work your way around and when your done, line up the rocker cover and replacement is the same as removal torque to specs.

passenger side:
the only difference i found was there was only one breather, there is a fuel line running to the t/b you need to lift this up, everything else is the same as drivers side.

Last edited:

capitalgainz

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 berlina gen3
2012-05-31-080.jpg

this is really bad, not the end but it just shows people, use decent oil, this engine has clearly had cheap either mineral oil only or durablend oil. castrol is renowned for this sort of carbon build up and actually it kind of goes to show engine oil flush can't do everything :(