Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How to remove a ROUNDED SUMP PLUG

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
I have noticed a tonne of people asking about rounded sump plugs and I was unable to find a How-to, here it is! (Hopefully not a repost)

How to remove a rounded sump plug (When a spanner or socket will not suffice)

1 - Vice Grips.

2 - Stilsons / Pipe Wrench - May reguire a breaker bar or a smack with a hammer to assist in budging the sump plug.

3 - Use a Dremel tool / grinder or file to cut two flat sides into the sump plug to allow stilsons / vice grips to grab.
4 - Use a Dremel tool / grinder or file to reduce the size of the sump plug to fit a smaller socket.

5 - Weld a nut or piece of metal to the sump plug to allow extra leverage.

Less common methods

1 - Smash a smaller socket onto the sump plug.
2 - Drill a hole through the side of the sump plug and leave the drill bit in place as leverage.
3 - Weld a socket to the sump plug.

The above are in no particular order - use what tools are available to you.
Ensure you purchase a new sump plug prior to hacking up the rounded sump. Buy the correct sized socket if required.
WD40 and Rp-7 are your friend.
All above info is taken from other sites as well as this one, please feel free to add to the list. I will add some pretty pictures after Le Mans is finished:beer chug:

Last edited:

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Very good.

This will sure help alot of people out.

Always hear 'how do i undo my stripped sump plug'!

Rodimus

Piston broke...
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Caprice Series II
I spent 3 hours not so long ago using all of these methods above (except welding) with no luck.

Got my hands on some sockets for rounded bolt heads and had it off in 5 minutes, was kicking myself I hadn't looked at these earlier.

They were Irwin Bolt grip from memory. A bit pricey but worth it.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
I spent 3 hours not so long ago using all of these methods above (except welding) with no luck.

Got my hands on some sockets for rounded bolt heads and had it off in 5 minutes, was kicking myself I hadn't looked at these earlier.

They were Irwin Bolt grip from memory. A bit pricey but worth it.

You must of been doing something wrong if you filed it down and still struggled to remove it! I will research what you used and add it to the list later

jonesy.54

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VZ Thunder
Sump plug removal

You must of been doing something wrong if you filed it down and still struggled to remove it! I will research what you used and add it to the list later

Both sump plugs and spark plug should not be over tightened. Most modern engines have alloy heads / sumps. I always use a never seize compound on the threads (dissimilar metals) and never over tighten. I have had a few sump plug issues over the years when serviced at dealers and after warranty expires have changed oil / filters ect have had to remove the odd plug that has been tightened by a gorilla with an extension bar.

James674

Reaction score
Members Ride
mx5
I had this issue today on my Mazda mx5. I went to a shop and bought some bolt removal sockets for 15 quid and it removed the plug no problem. You don't hammer it over or anything just sit it over the bolkt and pull and it slices into the broken bolt and grips it, then simply tap with a hammer at the end of the ratchet. Job done. Was a godsend for me today

Engines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP and EJ
had one not long ago, tap the plug straight on with a hammer, then hit with a chisel in the direction of loosening. no stress

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
very common problem , don't use sockets or ring spanner that have a lot of teeth , use a 6 sided socket stops it from tearing into the bolt , works every time with minimal damage.

U can now get Allen key bolts now.

Last edited: