Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How to fix broken fuel door.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So this is a really simple job, but I am constantly seeing people (especially VT-VY) driving around with open or no fuel door. So here I am giving you a 5 minute fix.

Requirements/Tools:
Philips Screwdriver
Two-part epoxy glue

Step 1: Remove fuel door, its held in by 2 screws and just pulls out. If you need a picture to show you than please sell all your tools and find a decent mechanic.

This is what I now have,

imag0374y.jpg

Step 2: Give the broken area a quick swap down, get all dust plastic powder off. A clean glue job is a better hold.

Step 3: Mix the glue, or alternatively these is some stuff at Bunnings that mixes in the bottle and comes out mixed, so much easier to apply. I didn't have any in shed tonight. You can use other plastic glue, but I like 2-part epoxy, very strong.

imag0376y.jpg

Step 4: Get a nice little bead around the the crack and push the two pieces together. Hold together with a bit of pressure.

Step 5: For a nice strong bond, layer the glue up so that it covers a large area of both surfaces. Try and decipher my image. The more surface area the glue covers the stronger it will be.

61432845.jpg

You can see me start to do it here,

imag0380o.jpg

Step 6: Allow the glue to dry overnight before reattaching to car.

Now the glue is far stronger than the plastic it is holding together, so it is unlikely to ever break in the same place.

Here is the fix I did ages ago when I snapped my fuel door off with my fat legs at the servo. The fix is far from pretty, but I don't tend to show people the inside of my fuel door.

imag0375m.jpg

Cheers all.

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
Nice right up. I think the more common problem with the fuel lids staying open is the little plastic tab that moves in and out that jams and stays in, not catching on the fuel lid. If you have a fix for this let us know.

kjparker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Acclaim
Nice right up. I think the more common problem with the fuel lids staying open is the little plastic tab that moves in and out that jams and stays in, not catching on the fuel lid. If you have a fix for this let us know.

i would have thought if the pin is getting stuck, a squirt with some silicone spray would sort it out quick smart! Just dont get it on anything you might want to paint later.....

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Very similiar to what i did with mine when it broke, but i built the base a bit more with epoxy putty and expoxy resin and stacked plastic.

lol

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
I did this same thing last week..
Did not even think to do a how to!..Nice work!

I used some scrap plastic and melted/cut/bent it to form extra strengh.
So that it now has an extra 'jacket' around it.

Should not break again!!

KyleOnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
I realise how old this thread is but does anyone have any idea what size the two screws are that are used to screw it into the car. Girlfriend cleaned up and misplaced them..