Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How to Fix Rear Door Striker when its backing plate falls away from inner bracket

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Striker Issue

When changing the striker, the backing plate which the striker screws into decided to fall away into the wheel arch
This is a bad thing and i hope no one has to deal with it.

This is intended for the rear strikers only.

NOTE: There is no access points, nothing so one has to cut into the sheet metal just above the wheel arch next to the striker on the inside of the vehicle.

Ok heres the deal
Lots of swearing and round $20 to fix (sound deadener spray where i will put in the wheel arch inside and some glue)

Basically as follows

1. removed seats
2. removed sound deadening material
3. using a metal grinder, ground out an opening to access striker bracket just above the wheel arch on the inside, careful not to cut into any spot welds, only sheet metal
4. swore
5. using a led torch thingy thats on my keyring, placed it into the bottom screw hole to illuminate the inside of the wheel arch and brackets etc
6. found the backing plate not where i expected but glad it did not fall down into the chassis. was in the wheel arch
7. using a magnet from a hard drive and a coat hanger and masking tape to hold the magnet in place so doesnt flop around, put it inside wheel arch and retrived the backing plate
8. swore at the **** for causing me grief
9. reattached it to the brackets and fixed the brackets as were slightly bent and hence reason why it flopped out initially
10. quickly put a screw in place and reattached the striker.
11. sprayed primer down to cover the edges i cut round access hole i made
12. placed some sound deadening foam inside access hole (later stage will get it welded up with sheet metal)
13. spray glued the sound deadening material back into place
14. reattached seating
15. went shopping for dinner

The hardest thing was that I had no documents, did not know where the spot welds were etc. basically doing it blind so i took care and my time.

Anyway, i hope you guys do not have to go through what i did. At least though there is a way to fix it. Funnily enough, no one from any other forum had dealt with it before.
dumb luck i guess.

bad picture from inside the vehicle looking into access hole i made above wheel arch and close to the striker
strike1.jpg

Inside access hole, showing bracket where backing plate slips into
strike2.jpg

Backing Plate - showing the sides where it goes into bracket
strike4.jpg

Back to normal
strike9.jpg

Example photo where backing plate fell
strike10.jpg