Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] Read your VIN Number

Wallace82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore Executive Series 2
While I did steal this off another site (How To Read Your Car's VIN Number) I do think it would be useful here too.

I know nowadays you can just grab the VIN and chuck it a Revs check and it will give you all the info you need, its still good to know what the numbers mean.

Most VINS can be found under the windsheild, down the bottom on the passengers side. The VIN will contain 17 characters (numbers and letters) each holding individual information about the car.

(It almost goes without saying, that you should avoid a car which has a scratched out VIN that you cannot read, it has likely been done for a reason)

Digits 1-3 will tell you the make and model and manufacturer of the car.

Digits 4-8 will tell you the trim level and other specific features of that car.

Digit 9 is a verifying number. It ensures that the VIN is not fake.

Digit 10 is the model year, the year it was manufactured

Digit 11 is the location of where the car was built

Digits 12-17 is the serial number.

Each car will have its own unique VIN.

The VIN's are also written in code. For example, digit 10 will be a letter of the alphabet even though it represents the year the car was built.

The letters 'Q' , 'O' and "I" will never be used in a VIN because they can be confused with numbers.