Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How to Replace a Tail Light Loom - VT/VX/WH

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
This how to covers VT/VX Commodores and also WH Statesmans.

Note that the car used is a WH Statesman and there are some slight differences. Also the part number for the loom is for a WH Statesman ONLY, it will not work in VT/VX Commodores because WH Statesmans have an extra tail light/brake light globe.

You may need to replace the loom if one of the globes was fitted wrong and the socket broke. Be careful because the globes only go in one way, if you need to force it in, then it's probably going to be in the wrong way.

Tools needed:
1x Screwdriver (+)

Step 1:

Open Boot Lid.

IMG_1043.jpg

Step 2:

Remove both screws as shown in photo, remember to turn the screw left to loosen and right to tighten them up.

IMG_1044.jpg

Step 3: (For VT/VX Commodore)

Pull the tail light lens assembly towards you, then tap it to the side so it comes apart from the locating pins on the opposite side of the tail light lens.

Step 3: (For WH Statesman)

Pull the tail light lens assembly towards you, while holding both sides of the tail light assembly. (Locating pins are facing forward, not to the side).

IMG_1045.jpg

Step 4:

Remove all the globe holders by turning them to the left and then pulling them out.

You should be left with this:

IMG_1046.jpg

Step 5:

Pull back the carpet in the boot, behind the body where the loom is going into the car.

IMG_1047.jpg

Step 6:

You will see the loom and where it is plugged in to. Unplug it.

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

Step 7:

From the outside of the boot, pull the rubber grommet (where the wires are running through) towards you. Not by the wires though, pull by the rubber grommet itself.

IMG_1050.jpg

Then pull it out until you see the plug, the plug will just fit through the hole, so when it lines up, pull it out.

IMG_1051.jpg

Step 8:

Unpack the new loom and reverse procedures to fit the new loom. For the WH Statesman, a new loom from Holden will be around $55. DO NOT use that part number if you are fitting this in anything other then a WH Statesman/Caprice.

IMG_1052.jpg

Step 9:

Fit the globes to the new sockets, and try them out before refitting them to the tail light.

IMG_1053.jpg

Step 10:

Refit them to the tail light, refit the tail light, try out the lights once more.

IMG_1054.jpg

Step 11:

Close the boot lid. Make sure you do this or else someone might come along and see your fully sick subwoofer and decide they want it more then you. If not then maybe your spare wheel.

IMG_1043.jpg

FreddyFlint209

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx sedan
This how to covers VT/VX Commodores and also WH Statesmans.

Note that the car used is a WH Statesman and there are some slight differences. Also the part number for the loom is for a WH Statesman ONLY, it will not work in VT/VX Commodores because WH Statesmans have an extra tail light/brake light globe.

You may need to replace the loom if one of the globes was fitted wrong and the socket broke. Be careful because the globes only go in one way, if you need to force it in, then it's probably going to be in the wrong way.

Tools needed:
1x Screwdriver (+)

Step 1:

Please re-up Photos / Images.
My problem is that some idiot before me removed the 'parcel shelf' stop light bulb holder. I am unable to find a photo or part number of what I am after.
If anyone is able to take a pic or inform me of somewhere I can purchase the bulb holder.
Many thanks
2001 VX commodore.

FreddyFlint209

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx sedan
Please re-up Photos / Images.
My problem is that some idiot before me removed the 'parcel shelf' stop light bulb holder. I am unable to find a photo or part number of what I am after.
If anyone is able to take a pic or inform me of somewhere I can purchase the bulb holder.
Many thanks
2001 VX commodore.

Found a local wreckers, purchased a parcel shelf "globe holder" and the connector for additional stop light. I have reattached the wires in the correct manner, and all should be working.
Thanks.