Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VY] Cleaning VY air conditioning evaporator without removing dash

Vr5speedv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr exec 5.0L 5speed
Recently purchased a vy with very weak air flow from the vents.
After a bit of investigation, I figured it must be a blocked evaporator.Not wanting to go to the trouble and expense of pulling out the evaporator, I looked for an easy access point.
First up you need remove the glove box and lower trim panel (both of these simply unclip).
Next step is to unclip the wiring from the blower fan and then remove the bottom cover (this is held in by 3 screws)
After that it should look like this:

026.jpg

I then used a 38mm (1 1/2") hole saw to make an access point to clean the evaporator. Take this step very carefully, as you don't want to hit the evaporator or AC line that you'll see in the pics below.

017.jpg

019.jpg

As you can see it was pretty much totally blocked with gunk!
Next up you want to get a hose with a trigger nozzle in there and start spraying the evaporator in pulses (so you don't flood the interior) Water should drain out the hole about the size of a 10cent piece you can see in the first picture. So have a bucket or something under there to collect it!
After that it should be looking pretty clean, like this:

023.jpg

Then simply seal up the hole (I'm lazy and have still got it covered by pvc tape, lol) and enjoy your new blizzard-like air con!!
BTW I'm assuming VT-VZ HVAC would be pretty similar. So that access point should apply to other models as well, just double check that;)

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 766
Last edited:

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Wow how much crap was in there man.. So did it make a huge difference in the air con?

Vr5speedv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr exec 5.0L 5speed
Wow how much crap was in there man.. So did it make a huge difference in the air con?

Yeah massive difference mate, from virtually nothing to the air you'd expect from a new car!

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
That's awesome mate well done.. I'm sure it will be the same for a lot of different cars and help a bunch of people out too..

Vr5speedv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr exec 5.0L 5speed
That's awesome mate well done.. I'm sure it will be the same for a lot of different cars and help a bunch of people out too..

Thanks mate!
As you say it's pretty much applicable to any car, just got to be careful where you're drilling!!

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
Will definitely be doing this to my car, same problem and looks like it will be the same issue, will give it a shot over Christmas/new year break.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Great idea! I don't know what mine's like
at nine years old, but it still blows
heaps of cold air.
Handy How-To, though.

Vr5speedv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr exec 5.0L 5speed
Just made a correction to the original post. Hole saw size was 38mm, not 48mm!