Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How to change the Ignition barrel

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
I have recently changed the ignition barrel in a VT and found that there was not really any How to's so ive decided to make one :)

Step 1. disconnect the battery as you will need the key in the on position the whole time.
Step 2. take the plastic around the steering column off, this is pretty straight forward, take the top off which is just clipped in, then for the bottom there is 1 screw down the end undo this then pull the trim forward (Towards the steering wheel) to unclip it.
Step 3. Take the immobiliser and shroud off, simply pull it off the column and unplug it along with the globe attached to it.
Step 4. now put the key in and turn it to the II position
Step 5 get a tiny screwdriver, and poke it through the hole on top of the barrel, this may be sealed off with thin metal, just push through that.
While the screw driver is pushed down pull the barrel out, if its not coming out jiggle the key a little as you may not have it in the right position.

When re installing it is the same reversed except you dont need to put a tiny screw driver in the hole, before putting the new barrel in look inside where the barrel used to be, there will be a piece of metal pushed up, i believe this is the steering lock (Not 100% sure) push this down with a screw driver otherwise you will not be able to get the barrel in.

You also need the key in the on position when installing
Hope this helps someone.

atchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS MY 14
Hi mate - thanks for the detailed write-up. Just wondering if you need to re-program anything once the new barrel was installed. Cheers

aprilsteel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bike
Broken Barrel End

An additional Thanks to the poster "aussieakito"
I used this and it went great on a 2001 VX

Best to add this here I think and OP might add it to title for searchers - Broken Barrel End

My key barrel broke its end along the barrel that turns the ignition on and starts the car. Its a rectangular piece at the end that slots into the black rubber/plastic wiring plug on the left side of switch. So I followed above to get the barrel out to see what was wrong but to get the broken piece out , locate the small slotted grub screw on the left side of switch and undo it until the plug and switch comes away . Tap it on something and the broken bit will come out and you can then use a small screwdriver in the slot to start and run the car . You have to follow above and put the barrel back in to stop the steering locking up which could kill you and others but then you can limp home.

Turned out if the key just seems empty when you try to start it look first at the grub screw (it should be screwed out about 5 mm) and switch because that may be all you need to do to get the car home although it nay be difficult to get the swith to come out as the end of the key barrel might prevent it . Just depends on whats gone . If it does not come out easily then releasing the key barrel itself as above with a small screwdriver will let it come off , then you have to push down that metal piece mentioned above in the barrel and reinsert the key barrel properly before driving it or the steering could lock up.

The key barrel replacement kit costs $77 atm and you get a whole heap of new springs and slides and stuff to fit your key to the new barrel. Tricky if you havnt done it before but a locksmith will put the springs and slides in for $10 or so then you fit it. Slides are numbered 1 to 9 and you fit a spring then a slide and the slides should be evenly protruding both sides when you have the right slide. Do 5 on one side hold in with the key , turn over and hold the slides underneath with your finger when you take the key out each time to put the next slide in . When the key is in nothing can fall out . When the key is out everything can fall out but you will get the hang of it with the first two or three slides

I didn't disconnect my battery at all and I had the plug diconnected and reconnected a few times. I made the mistake of removing the air bag connector though and now have to reset it to get rid of the warning bells

Last edited:

bobronnie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Thanks for your Instructions !! Worked like a Charm !! Problem now Solved !! :)
:idea3:

gmh lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl manual
If your key dosnt turn just put a big screwdriver in the slot and attach vice grips to the handle and twist hard.this will snap the pin that holds the internal barrel and it will come out.then push the locking pin on the external barrel and it will come right out.

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
If your key dosnt turn just put a big screwdriver in the slot and attach vice grips to the handle and twist hard.this will snap the pin that holds the internal barrel and it will come out.then push the locking pin on the external barrel and it will come right out.

that doesnt always work, working at holden myself a lot of *cough* sh**boxes come my way. What i do is drill 2 small holes either side of the hole that you insert the key in,

if the dashes are the slit you put the key is the ** is where you drill the hole

( *--* )

Once you drill them out (its really easy to drill into that) i stick 2 little metal wiper pieces (The metal that hold your rubber wiper inserts straight) into them holes and it pushes the pins in properly, you can then turn the ignition

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
VT-VX +++The grub screw is a T8 head, the thread is M4 0.7

The earlier commodores use a small flat head.

For anyone else who needs to buy the tool etc

Great thread guys, helped me a lot :)

MR VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS2 Dual Fuel Wagon
Stupid question. Ive used graphite powder to lubricate the new ignition barrel, feels quite good.

Should I apply lubricant to the end of the barrel where it meets up inside the steering column?

If so, whats the best type? Grease, vasoline, dry lubricant, etc etc.??

Thanks.

Last edited: