Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] Running wire(s) from battery to inside the car. VT-VX. May work on other models.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I have seen some ugly and untidy extra wiring done, especially running a wire for amps from the engine bay to inside the car and
I thought I would share with you the way I did it.
It is very tidy and almost invisible, because where it is threaded, is right next to the battey. It doesn't involve drilling holes, crawling under the dash, running wires all around the engine bay or disturbing the main engine loom grommets.
I didn't post any picks, as it is very self explanatory and only took me 10 or 15 minutes.

One of the best ways I found to run wire(s) to the cab is; Locate the small gap at the front of the right guard inside the engine bay, near the battery and to the right of the head light that leads to the inside of the guard. Push as much wire as you can inside the guard going toward the drivers side door. Take out the side indicator and get some coat hanger wire, make a hook on one end and hook the wire and pull it through the indicator hole. Open the front drivers side door. Push the wire from the indicator hole back inside the guard until you can see it behind the door hinge. Or, push the coat hanger through the indicator hole until it comes out behind the door hinge (probably easier) making sure not to damage the indicator wiring. Attach the wire to the coat hanger and pull it through. Take off the drivers side kick panel. Slightly pull out the rubber grommet for the door wiring from the body of the car and thread it through that hole, into the cab and then push the grommet back in to place. Presto the wire is inside the car.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Edit: Just in case the guard has to be removed/replaced, put a plug and socket in the wire(s) so as you dont have to disconnect everything or have to cut the wires.

Thought I'd add some pictures.
Sorry about the blurry pictures.....

Here you can see the entry to the guard, right beside the battery (Black conduit). It allows for better access if you remove the battery.

Pull through the side indicator hole.....

Then out of the rear of the guard at the front door hinge. Take of the drivers side kick panel, Then thread the wire/s through the door loom grommet.

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Just a tip with this, inside the guard before you reach the hinges there is a blanking grommet there comes out under the kick panel, makes it seem factory and you cant see it :)

Ah....Very good. I didn't see that.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Good idea, maybe I'll use this method
next time. All mine run through the
clutch grommet with black conduit
covering the wires inside the engine
bay.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
When I was wanting to run some wires, I thought there must be a better way. I only found this way when I was tidying up some wiring near the battery and I found the gap in the guard.
Thankyou Holden for not filling in all the gaps.

stewy1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Good idea, maybe I'll use this method
next time. All mine run through the
clutch grommet with black conduit
covering the wires inside the engine
bay.

Do you or would you be able to get a picture of where the clutch grommet is? had a look but can never seem to find it.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Do you or would you be able to get a picture of where the clutch grommet is? had a look but can never seem to find it.

It's just beside the brake booster.

clutchgrommetloc1_zps43788e40.jpg

clutchgrommetloc_zpsaff82f56.jpg