Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] How To Install Polyair Airbag Suspension in a Live Axle Commodore (eg VR-VS)

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Firstly, why install Polyair Airbags?

The Polyair kit is a heavy duty air bag kit which restores ride height and prevents bottoming out. It does not replace the original coil springs but works with it, original springs tend to sag from wear or from overloading. Each kit is designed to level the vehicle to the original designed height with up to 500 kg of load, some vehicles can be raised an additional 25mm when inflated with maximum air pressure and carrying minimum load. Tyres and shocks last longer and it gives you much better handling and stability and all Polyair kits have been tested in Australian conditions both city and the country. Polyair are also great for off road and are air adjustable.

Now, this is the way that I've completed the task. You may do somethings differently, but I don't need to be told. I can appreciate advice given in respect to this thread but negative comments should be left in your head. I have started this thread to assist other vehicle enthusiasts who want to complete this modification. Enjoy the read.

Tools Required

- Safefy glasses and gloves
- Polyair Airbag Suspenion kit
- Trolley jack and jack stands
- 1/2'' socket set
- Breaker bar and/or ratchet bar
- 1/2'' torque wrench
- Bullnose pliers
- Scissors/shears
- Bench grinder w/ wire wheel or wire brush
- Electrical or cordless drill
- Drill bits
- Centre punch
- Hand riveter and rivets
- Zipties
- Anti seize compound
- Hand or electric air pump
- Air pressure gauge
- Time and patience

IMG_0627_zps891d541d.jpg

IMG_0664_zpse4574af3.jpg

IMG_0653_zpsa4cf66a6.jpg

Step 1
Place the vehicle in gear/in park, with the hand brake on. Chock the front wheels with blocks of timber or whatever you have.

IMG_0626_zps034f086c.jpg

Step 2
Raise the chassis at the rear , enough to have the axle suspended. And place two jack stands under the chassis. (Preferable location in picture)

IMG_0623_zps2f67fcd2.jpg

IMG_0624_zps8e52b56d.jpg

Step 3
Remove both left hand side and right hand side, rear lower control arm bolts and nuts. 19mm spanner and 19mm socket required. You can use the open end of the spanner as leverage on the bolt to remove it from bush and control arm. Once the bolts are removed, push the control arm down and let it swing to the ground.

IMG_0631_zps4d57f778.jpg

IMG_0644_zpsc9d431b5.jpg

Step 4
Remove both springs and spring insulators from each control arms. Install the Polyair airbags into the springs (stem facing the top of the spring), and install the lower mushroom mounts into the control arms.

IMG_0632_zps7c8aaad8.jpg

IMG_0645_zpsa655d0b4.jpg

IMG_0634_zpsf0c3223c.jpg

Step 5
Cut the hose supplied in equal halves and attach one end to the airbag positioned in the spring, then attach the hose clamp. Next, install the upper rubber spacer.

IMG_0647_zps40949866.jpg

IMG_0648_zps72d07783.jpg

Step 6
Reinstall the spring insulators into the correct location on the control arm and chassis or on the spring. And place the airbag/spring combo back into each control arm.

IMG_0640_zps6793bb1d.jpg

IMG_0658_zpsa75c17b1.jpg

Step 7
Buff/clean the rear lower control arm bolts and nuts. And then coat with anti seize before installation. Reinstall both lower control arms.

IMG_0651_zps2d9b4253.jpg

IMG_0652_zps9db7e3d0.jpg

IMG_0654_zps6600ad60.jpg

IMG_0656_zps32362c14.jpg

IMG_0643_zps59cff80a.jpg

Step 8

Torque the rear lower control arm bolts to 95-110Nm. 19mm spanner and 19mm socket with torque wrench required.

IMG_0660_zpscc9b96ba.jpg

Step 9
Route the airbag hose to wherever you decide to mount it. Install the air valve at the designated fitment location. Install air valve cap and tighten valve nuts so only one thread is visible between the valve cap and valve nut.(I mounted my airbag valves on either side of the tray on the last tray chassis rail)

IMG_0661_zpsa8352356.jpg

IMG_0663_zpsfb3abed9.jpg

Step 10
Inflate both airbags to 170kpa and check for leaks and clearances around the exhaust and suspension systems. Repair any leaks if found.

Step 11
Deflate/inflate the airbags to determine the best ride quality and comfort.
MUST HAVE A MINIMUM OF 5PSI AT ALL TIMES PRESENT IN THE AIRBAG.

Step 12
Pack up the tools and clean the work area, because you sir are DONE! This task only took me close to an hour. So give or take to the blokes that like to chill and sink piss, my father for one. Took him 4 hours to do a set on his Patrol.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed the read! Thank you.

I will update this thread with comments on the ride quality after I take the ute for a drive.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Thanks guys.

The airbags make a considerable difference to handling and ride quality. The rear end on of my ute now feels like it's floating on 'air'. Really soft ride. Best $210 spent for the kit.
Mind you, I have the 64795 kit suited for lowered suspension, but the installation concept is still the same.

Even with 10psi in the air bags I have the ride height measurements of: (measured from centre cap to guard)

Front Left - 340mm
Front Right - 340mm
Rear Left - 305mm (remember the left hand spring is 10mm longer than the right)
Rear Right - 300mm

So in conclusion, Polyair Airbag Suspension is great value for money. Four members of my family now run them in their own cars. My father, 2006 Nissan Patrol TD42i Wagon. My grandfather, 2000 Nissan Patrol TD42 Wagon. My uncle, 1998 Ford Falcon 4.0L Sedan. And now myself. None of us can speak bad of them.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Good write up.
I had polyair airbags in my SWB GQ patrol 20 years ago.
I towed a 40 foot caravan for a mate from Laanecoorie reservoir to Melbourne (about 140km) with no trailer brakes. That was fun.
The rear of the 4x4 dropped about 5 to 10 mm. Hardly noticable.
Can't recommend them highly enough.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Good writeup mate.:thumbsup:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Could these type of bags be used in a VY as weight assist with 250kg of stuff in the boot?

I can't remember the maximum load rating on them, but I'm sure they would be fine with that load.
If I remember correctly, pump them up first before you put the weight on them and DON'T go over the maximum inflation pressure
which I think is 5 psi.