Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] Main charge wire replacement howto based on VN/VP/VR same principle VS/VT/VX ecotec

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
As V6 commodore owners it's almost guaranteed that you have either had or will have this problem.....
The main charge wire from the alternator burning out..... First problem is it's to small a gauge, it's only designed to carry 70-75 amps, standard alternators are capable of putting out 85 Amps.

158197d1362797859-main-charge-wire-replacement-howto-based-vn-vp-vr-same-principle-vs-vt-vx-ecotec-01.jpg

You'll need some nice heavy gauge wire, start with 1.5 meters (I ended up with 110 Amp cable, rather overkill in this situation, only choices I had was same gauge 75A or 110A, nothing else on the shelf saturday morning)
2 Eyelets to suit
Some heatshrink that'll fit

First disconnect the battery(I know it looks like I didn't do this, I have an isolating terminal on the -ve battery post, quick turn of the green bit and battery is dc'd), start ripping the old main charge wire out, It splices near the battery and goes to the main fuse, so you can't just chop it off at both ends.
158198d1362797861-main-charge-wire-replacement-howto-based-vn-vp-vr-same-principle-vs-vt-vx-ecotec-02.jpg

158199d1362797864-main-charge-wire-replacement-howto-based-vn-vp-vr-same-principle-vs-vt-vx-ecotec-03.jpg

158200d1362797866-main-charge-wire-replacement-howto-based-vn-vp-vr-same-principle-vs-vt-vx-ecotec-04.jpg

Cut the splice, bin the charge wire, clean up the corroded mess and join the main power wire to the batt terminal.

158201d1362797868-main-charge-wire-replacement-howto-based-vn-vp-vr-same-principle-vs-vt-vx-ecotec-05.jpg

158202d1362797870-main-charge-wire-replacement-howto-based-vn-vp-vr-same-principle-vs-vt-vx-ecotec-06.jpg

Dummy fit the new cable and cut to length.

158203d1362797872-main-charge-wire-replacement-howto-based-vn-vp-vr-same-principle-vs-vt-vx-ecotec-07.jpg

158204d1362797874-main-charge-wire-replacement-howto-based-vn-vp-vr-same-principle-vs-vt-vx-ecotec-08.jpg

Remove the cable, cut some heatshrink (4-6 pieces, so you have 2-3 layers on each end)
Attach the eyelets, Using a proper crimper is the best way, I went the dodgy way using a vice, center punch, hammer and solder to fill the gaps, I'm not going into detail on the process, If you have never joined this type of connection before then I'm not going to be blamed for any failures, It's main connection needs to be crimped, solder is less conductive than a crimped metal to metal join and is only used to fill the void, relying on solder only will fail when high amperage is involved.

Put it all back together, make sure the thicker charge wire is not pinched/jammed between the alternator and engine and moves freely, you don't want it shorting out in the future from a dodgy install.
You should have something like this, I'm not fussed about looks, it's only a V6 daily driver in my case, if you want to make the wire slightly longer so you can tuck it away neatly then that's your option.

158205d1362797878-main-charge-wire-replacement-howto-based-vn-vp-vr-same-principle-vs-vt-vx-ecotec-09.jpg

158206d1362797880-main-charge-wire-replacement-howto-based-vn-vp-vr-same-principle-vs-vt-vx-ecotec-10.jpg

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 3,722
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 3,271
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 3,837
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 5,295
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 2,881
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2,761
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 2,528
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,579
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 2,637
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2,715
Last edited:

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
This one caught me by surprise, I knew the connection between the wire and eyelet on the back of the alternator was a bit dicey, insulation was gone and the wire was black, it'd been this way for a few years..... figured if it ain't broke, don't touch it.

There was no warning when it failed, the connection failed while driving so the alternator simply kept going, pumping electrickery to no where, no charge warning light came on....... first sign was the cel came on and the trans went into LHM, only have 2nd and 3rd.
First thought was fn wonderful... trans work.... about 10 minutes later the car stalled and luckily I had enough momentum to get across the intersection and onto the side of the road, turned the key and nothing, radio went off, the reds on the dash dulled out.... 2nd thought, fn wonderful, I'm up for trans work and something else to do with the charging system....

Quick look under the toasty bonnet, sweating like a pig and there it was.... Hot day + AC + Radio = pushing my luck to far on a dodgy charge wire connection...

The quick fix... ripped the eyelet off the end, twisted and wrapped the wire around the alternator output (being very careful to make sure it could not move and short out!, did the nut back up using the old eyelet as a washer, got a jump start and away it went.

Last edited:

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
Cheers for the how to Jxw, it was well done and with pictures too :)

I bought all the stuff i needed and planned to do it soon, next day i opened the bonnet to check the oil and fond the main charge wire shorting out against the fuel rail, needless to say it got done that night ;)

Just to add in for any others, this is well worth checking out, it fixed a bunch of little problems i had around the car. Also it is not a small job, not too difficult but if yours is anything like mine was, all of the wires and insulation will be severely heat damaged/worn and will be a pain to remove.

Being worried about the same heat damage happening to my new wires i went out and bought some new PVC pipe stuff to protect the new cables. Only costed 5 bucks from Jaycar (my local electronics store).