Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How to install VY/VZ tail lights into your VT/VX wagon.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Hey guys, I just got around to replaceing my VX wagon Tail lights with those found in a VY. I intend to eventually replace them again with the more expensive ones with the black borders, but these will do for now. It was a farily simple procedure, but I figured I’d chuck this up for anyone thinking about it, as for $100 it makes the car look a lot neater.

dbpqig.jpg

What you need
- An 8mm open end spanner
- A shifter (Maybe, I clipped this onto the end of the spanner to turn it at funny angles)
- New tail lights (Mine are VY, but VZ also work)
- VY tail light loom (Some people will tell you this isn’t need and you can force the VX loom into place, but I couldn’t so I got these, $40 for the pair).

5yhz5y.jpg

How to do it

This guide is based on the passenger side, simply because in my car it had one extra step which I’ll go through, the driver’s side is the same process but simpler.
First get in the boot and remove the tail light access covers to reveal the tail light globes and wires. You’ll also see 4 x 8mm nuts to remove. DO NOT DROP THESE as they will fall down into the bumper and you will not find them again.

2jfkeqa.jpg

After these nuts are off, the globes can be removed and the light cover will slide off. Now you can just unplug and remove the old loom. The only difficulty I had with this was that for some reason my plug was securely attached to the metal behind where the jack is kept. I got around this by removing the plastic plug shown below then pulling the trim out far enough to wedge a flat head screw drive behind it and lift the plug off the bracket

23m279u.jpg

1zptqw1.jpg

Once that’s done simply put the new taillight into place, replace the 4 nuts, put your old globes into the new loom, plug it into the car and clip the globes into place.
Enjoy your new tail lights and I hope you found this helpful.

Last edited:

butch123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu/vy maloo
I've got a pair of VU ute tail lights, do you know if they're the same as a wagon?

Grega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 Berlina, VX1 Berlina, VX2 Berlina
Sorry for the 6 year old thread dig. Just wanted to says thanks for this writeup. This is still valid for a VT2 as well.
92147542 is still available from GM and is $30AUD

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I think would be for one