Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How To Wash Your Engine Without Drowning It.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I've been reading on here a lot lately about people degreasing/cleaning their engines, only to find that it wont start due to water ingestion into the electrical components when rinsing it off. Go out and buy one of these pressure sprayers. They are around $30-$40 from Mitre 10 or Bunning's. Spray the degreaser as usual avoiding electrical components. Then to rinse it off, fill the pressure sprayer with clean water and rinse it off. The sprayer allows you to rinse off the degreaser without drenching the whole engine with a Gerni or a garden hose. You are able to direct the spray to where you want it. It allows you to get into tight areas very easily without water getting into every thing. I just did mine and cleaned around the ignition module with no effect on the electronics at all. I found if you park it on a slight slope, either nose up or down, the water runs off better. Another tip if I may suggest is when you have finished rinsing, empty the sprayer and hose of ALL water, then pressurise it with just air. Open up the nozzle of the sprayer to a wide pattern. This will allow you to blow away most of the excess water, especially around any electrical components.

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Thanks mate.
I've used this sprayer for quite a while now and I thought it was time to share the idea with every one.
It's also quite good for cleaning the bugs out of the radiator and washing the wheels.
It's doesn't have the pressure or capacity for a full car wash, but it is ideal for getting into the tight spots of the engine bay

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Great idea thanks for that.:beer chug:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I just use the one from the Bargain shop. 2.5 litre container for $5.00 . Put it in an old Ajax spray bottle and off ya go.
Works for me no worries.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Thanks for the tip. Will come in really handy :)

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
Supercheap Auto do a Heavy Duty Degreaser in a spray / ajax style bottle for about $10-$12 and lasts ages. Good buy :)

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
I'd also suggest buying a Swissmix branded one. They're alittle more expensive, but they hold more pressure then the cheapies. Can get parts for them if it has an issue done the track.