Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VT-VX-VY-VZ] How To Replace/Change The Ignition Light

Danielzke

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commy
Hey guys

Just a little guide on how to fix a broken light in your ignition, mine stop working a few weeks ago and trying to find information on how to fix it was a little hard, but not impossible, but i thought i'd take all of that and put it into one simple guide so anyone can fix it. Or maybe you just want a change ? i changed mine to blue :) but maybe you want red, purple, white etc, it's all up to you.

Step 1: Go on eBay or look in Jaycar for a T5 bulb, i got a box of 10 for $1.45 delivered to my door.

Step 2: Before starting, you should disconnect your battery just to be safe from blowing any fuses etc. Under your steering wheel, there is a lever that you can move in and out, when this is pulled out it allows the steering wheel to be moved down. All you'll want to do is pull the lever down to give you access to the light ring.

Step 3: Put 2 fingers in and feel for rubbers, just push on them and the ring should pop out like so.

Step 4: You should be able to see the bulb now, it's connected to the red and yellow wiring and is in a bulb holder. Twist the bulb holder and it should just pull up.

Step 5: Pull out the old bulb. This is tricky because its stuck in there pretty good. But it'll come out after applying some pressure. Don't squeeze the bulb, it'll break :p now you can put your new T5 bulb in like so.

Step 6: Put the bulb holder back in, push the light ring back into its position, put the steering wheel lever back up, reconnect the battery, turn the lights on and all done.

Hope it helps someone :)

Last edited:

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
How is the direction of the light compared to using the original bulbs?

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
I done mine in blue last week.. Looks good Nd nice job on the how too mate..

Danielzke

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commy
Sadly no

They are different and have to be soldered to the board :/

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Useful write up Dan

Danielzke

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commy
Yes the cap comes off, if you can get a different colour one even better

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
if the stock globe is anything like the globe in the Bluetooth switch then you should be able to take that green little cap off.

Yeah you can, I did to mine.. now it just looks a **** white/yellow instead of **** green hah.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2