Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How to install an aftermarket tacho in VT/VX (I've been told it is the same in VY/VZ)

EazyVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
So, there is a fair bit of debate as to how this is done but I'm going to tell you the relatively simple way.

Step 1. Remove the fuse cover panel under the steering column.

Step 2. Remove the dash facia. The first step is to remove the to screws at the back of the piece around the gear selector. Carefully in clip it and remove it. This should expose 2 more screws take those out. There is 1 screw to the left of the steering cover and 2 to the right and 2 in front of the cluster. Once remove lower the steering wheel and carefully un clip the facia. Be extra careful around the vents.

Step 3. Undo the 2 screws holding the cluster in place and pull it out enough to get to the wiring plug. There is a brown/red wire going into the plug. This is the Tacho signal. Splice a wire on to it and run it straight down behind the cluster. Once this is complete replace the dash facia.

Step 4. At the back of steering cover is a loom with a plastic wrapping around it. Carefully slice this open. There should be 4 thick wires. Splice a wire into the thick brown wire (this is accessories. I can't remember which one is ignition.).

Step 5. Hook the Tacho wiring up and ground it to the metal support bar. The screws right next the fuse panel will ground it nicely. Replace the panel and you're done.

This should take around 30-45 mins. It's not as hard as people lead you to believe for example stuffing around in your engine bay chasing a Tacho signal that doesn't work.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
It just so happens that there is a dedicated tacho signal wire with a small plug on it,
in the main loom that goes through the firewall (LHS)
It's located just below the LHS wiper blade.
That's on the 304 anyway.

But anyway, well done. Good right up.

EazyVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Thanks mate. :). I've tried that one on the V6 and haven't been able to get it to work. I'll give it a go next time I've got 5L in. I'm only new to the forum and I'm a technician. So I'm trying to be helpful. Haha