Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR/VS Engine Belt

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
The engine belt is surprisingly simple to check and replace. They are fairly reliable, and I have been told they need replacing about every 100,000kms, so not very regularly. But check it everytime you do a service (I normally do one every year-ish). It takes about 2 seconds to check and 60 to fit a new one.

This is my old belt that I have just replaced. It is showing signs of cracking, and for about $30 I wont have to worry about it for another couple of years.

000_0467%20(Large).jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the belt tensioner. It puts pressure on the belt and takes up the slack when the belt stretches due to age.

000_0468%20(Large).jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the tensioner there is a small arrow which indicators the level of force the tensioner is exerting on the belt to keep it operating. If the arrow is pointing outside the normal operating limits, the two purple marks, the belt should be replaced.

000_0469%20(Large).jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replacing the belt:

Using a round spanner grab the bolt on the tensioner and push it up. This will relieve the pressure on the belt enough to pull it off.

000_0472%20(Large).jpg

Installation is the reverse of the removal. Take note of how the belt sat before you take your old one off. The gregories manual uses a neat diagram that shows where the belt runs if you get stuck, but for copyright reasons this diagram wont be displayed on this website.

When the belt is back on make sure it sits in the grooves of the pulleys.

Thats it. Theres not much too it at all. Oh and I have been told that a new belt may make a bit of a squeek when you start the car. I didnt have this and I dont think many people have but if you do, dont use lubricant on the belt.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Isn't there a product called Stop Squeek or something available at Super cheap Auto Autobarn etc ?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Isn't there a product called Stop Squeek or something available at Super cheap Auto Autobarn etc ?

i think he was refering to the first start, while the belt 'beds in' if you like

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
yes but in generall if you have a squeeky belt.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
learn sumfink new each day, i didnt know there was a idicator to show if the belt is within its operating limits.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The marks indicate the tensioner's range. The longer mark in between is the wear indicator. When the pointer reaches this mark the belt should be replaced.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
it's probably best to take note of where your tensioner position is on the scale and then monitor that when you do a service etc. not all new belts are of identical length. my brand new belt was already halfway on the scale but hasn't changed in the time it's been on so i know it's ok. best to mark it somehow so it's easy to see any wear etc.

nickg777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore executive 1995 v6 station wagon
hello
I recently bought a 1995 vs commodore executive. When I took into the garage the mechanic said that the engine belt had been installed incorrectly. I have checked this with the handbook and this forum. It seems to be fitted fine. 1) the ridges are in the ridges 2) it has air conditioning and this is covered by the belt
The mechanic said that it was showing signs of wear that is caused by the fact it is incorrectly fitted. I think I remember them saying it was the wrong way round (there was a few other problems I was concentrating on if I sound vague). I know there is an upside down, but should is there a right way round horizontally? There are threads showing on the edge that is to the front of the car rather than towards the engine.

Any ideas would be gratefully received as they are looking at charging me $100 for labour.

Thanks

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If the belt is on and the tensioner is within it's range, the belt is on correctly. You can't put it on wrong, it will be either too big or too small if it is not the right way on the pulleys.

joshhhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss 5litre
what about a vs ss how do i put that on it has 2 fan belts on it... and im not sure which one the adjuster pulley is on it