Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VE] Clean VE 3.6ltr Throttle Body

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Had a look on the forum the other day for anything relating to cleaning the throttle body on a 3.6ltr. I was having trouble removing the wiring loom to the throttle body. I eventually got it off and thought I might put a how to thread on how to do this. It fairly easy and shouldn't take any longer than a half hour to complete.

Tools needed are a small socket and ratchet set, 7mm and 10mm sockets are all that are required. The only other tool needed is a small flat bladed screwdriver.

A can of throttle body cleaner will also be required.

First thing to do is to remove the plastic plenum in between the throttle body and the air filter box.

There is a hose clamp at each end that needs loosening, to remove the plenum. The 7mm socket is best for this. Once both clamps are loose ( they will move freely on the plastic ) pull each end away from what it is attached to ( throttle body and air filter box ). You will have to remove the oil return hose as well.

You should now be able to see how dirty your throttle body intake is.

Next thing to do is to remove the plastic engine cover on passenger side of the motor. Below is a pic of the back of the cover to give an idea, where it clips on the motor. There are 3 different types of connection, so some will release easier than others.

Once the cover is removed, you are now able to remove the wiring loom on the side of throttle body. I used a small flat bladed screwdriver for this. Gentle pry the grey clip ( pic below )at the opposite end to where the wires go into the connection. It's best to remove the clip completely, to make it easier to remove the connection. The hose clamp from the radiator hose does get in the way a little bit though.

The wiring connector will take a bit of wriggling, but should come off without too much trouble.

Next thing to do is loosen and remove the 4 bolts holding the throttle body onto the motor. 10mm socket is needed to do this.

My throttle body wasn't very dirty, but could do with a clean.

Best thing to clean it with is a can of throttle body cleaner, they're about $10

Once the throttle body is clean, reinstall everything in reverse order to the instructions above.

Last edited:

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Thanks for this posting. Very helpful for the VE people here.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
The gasket probably doesn't need replacing unless it has been damaged and the surface isn't flat anymore. If there was a problem once fitted again, you'll hear a air leak from it. Again it's unlikely. The grey clip can be difficult to remove and is best completely removed, to remove the plug from the throttle body.

Last edited: