Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VY] How to replace crappy power accessorys cigarette port with a far better Jaycar port

speedyvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim Wagon
Personally I think that the factory supplied holden power accessorys isn't a very good quality port, in my series 1 VY Acclaim wagon you had to have things connected on the perfect angle, and with other things they would always just pop out, so I decided that enough was enough and decided to replace mine to make it better! :D

I'd say this would work with VZ's as well, assuming they have the same shitty power accessorys socket, as well as earlier models as well.

You'll need some tools of course;

Soldering Iron,
Phillips Screw Driver
MAYBE a bladed screwdriver to help pulling apart the center console, I found that being patient and using careful force worked just fine
Replacement Power Accessorys Port (I used the Jaycar marine spec port - Marine Grade Locking Cigarette Lighter Socket, Panel Mount - Jaycar Electronics
Half moon file
Liquid tape

Before I begin I'll write some notes for those who might wanna go a slightly different way to the way I've done mine:

I used the marine spec socket because it can be secured by screwing it in from behind with the plastic nut, just like mounting switches. Jaycar do make a cheaper alternative but looking at it I'd say it can only be secured using that front panel it comes with, on the VY's the curvatures of the inside of the center console don't really allow for the mounting of that front panel. I spose if you wanna get creative you could make it work but that just takes extra effort :p.

Step 1:

The easiest way to replace the port is to obviously take out the center console, there SHOULD be plenty of thread's out there to get the center console out so I won't go into it, once it's out make sure you remove the back vents, and the vent duct supplying air to the rear vents.

Step 2:

Once you have the console out set it on a bench so you can work on it, the original socket has 2 clips which THEORETICALLY should pop the socket out when pressed in, mine where extremely stiff and wouldn't budge so I just grabbed the nearest file and filed the 2 clip retainer things down till I could push the socket out, make sure you file the right down or you might risk damaging the console if you push it out with extreme force.

Step 3:

Once you have the original socket out, you will find that the new Jaycar socket is a touch wider than the original socket, I used a half moon file on the top and bottom part of the hole where the socket goes to widen it out so the new socket would fit.

Step 4:

Before you fit the socket, you will find that you won't need the front panel it comes with, you will also notice that the socket comes with a port cover that has the words "Marine" written on it. I found that the words "Marine" where just socially uncool... so I carefully pulled off the cover for the old port and used that on my new socket. If your like me and would like to retain some originality with your Holden, you can carefully cut the locating lug off the old port cover and file it down carefully with a small file till it's somewhat flat (it doesn't have to be totally flat just flat enough so the socket can be screwed on properly) and use that instead. HOWEVER, the original socket cover doesn't fit the new socket, but if your like me and perminantly have something connected up it won't really matter anyway, there might be a way to spread the lugs that are used to secure the cover into the socket but I'll leave that for someone else to sus out... lol.

ANYWAY! The fitment of the socket is pretty obvious, just push the new socket in and screw the nut on the back of it, try to get it as tight as you can because if you don't it will obviously move around, I managed to get it pretty tight without resorting to using pliers, I didn't want the new port moving left or right or anything.

Step 5:

Once the socket is in place and secure, cut the 2 wires off the old socket and solder them onto the new socket, Yellow/Purple is positive and black is earth, positive and negative are marked on the socket. NOTE: As you have probably noticed there are terminal provisions on the new socket so you can use crimps instead, you WON'T be able to use them as the end of the crimp will foul with vent duct, HOWEVER if someone out there makes right angled crimps you could definitely use those instead of soldering, but as Jaycar don't appear to stock anything of the sort I just soldered my wires on instead.

Step 6:

This step in reality isn't necessary but to make it look professional and to fill in the "what if they somehow short" scenario I covered the terminals with liquid tape, try not to get the **** everywhere like I did, the stuff only takes 5 minutes to dry.

Step 7:

Now it's just a matter of connecting all the necessary wiring looms back up and re-fitting the center console the reverse way it was pulled out, it would be a great idea to test your new power accessories port too before putting everything back together, it is never fun putting everything back together only to find that it doesn't work...

I'll post some pictures later this evening, right now they are on my phone and are too big to upload onto the forums.

Happy modding :)

madhouse74

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL STATESMAN
Nice write up, I am looking at putting a USB power outlet in my car as all the new cars do and makes a lot of sense. Would take a bit more effort but I think worth it does Jaycar sell a kit?

speedyvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim Wagon
You could go something like this:

2 Port USB Charger with 3.1A Output, 12/24VDC - Jaycar Electronics

Are you looking at replacing the power accessorys port or installing a USB Power outlet to be used in conjunction with the power accessorys port?

To be honest I'd just buy one of these: 12VDC Car Cigarette Lighter Socket 4-Way Splitter with USB Port - Jaycar Electronics that way you already have at least 1 or 2 USB ports and you have extra ports to power GPS, Dash Camera, Phone Chargers, etc etc.

If you do decide to install your own dedicated USB Power Outlet MAKE SURE YOU RUN YOUR OWN DEDICATED WIRING AND FUSE FOR IT!!! Splicing and stealing power from the power accessorys port loom is fine but it will become a problem if you start using both USB ports and have something like the second hyperlink going with devices sapping power at the same time if that makes sense, the factory wiring loom isn't setup to be able to pull the sort currents you would be pulling, hopefully you'll only pop fuses but worst case scenario you'll start burning the loom, only way around that would be to re-wire it all with thicker wiring to take the current.

madhouse74

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL STATESMAN
Thanks for the advice, dont really like the style jaycar is stocking will do a bit of looking around see if I can see something that looks a little more factory and will let you know how I go.