Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] Repairing cigarette lighter socket

brooker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II
Seems to be a common problem for the cigarette lighter socket to work itself loose, causing it to short ouut and blow the 15amp fuse located in the panel under the steering wheel.

I thought I would provide steps on how to repair as follows:

1. remove power window switch module, this is a press fit into the surrounding console piece, no screws. Use a flat edge tool to lift up a corner at a time.
2. unplug cable to switch module.
3. remove the 2 screws either side of the lighter socket.
4. remove the 2 screw from ash tray panel above lighter socket and remove ash tray
5. gently lift the console piece, there are 2 strong clips located each side of the pieces near the space for the switch panel and can be quite tight.
6. remove the console piece, may need to move the gear stick down for clearance.
7. the lighter socket can now be accessed. You may find the large (pretend) nut has unscrewed itself, possibly from people twisting plus in the lighter socket.
8. all that needs to be done is to tighten the nut back on to the socket piece. Being quite large, tightening with fingers is adequate.
9. put a spot of glue of loctite on the nut and socket thread to help make is less likely to go loose again.
10. reassemble console pieces and window switch module.

That's it

lynx2093

Reaction score
Members Ride
None.
good write up
i don't think the power window switch needs to come out of the surrounding you can lift that whole console piece up and unplug it from there and take it out as one

Novacula

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman
This is the Pretend Nut. That needs tightening to stop the 15Amp fuse from blowing.

Last edited:

*OA*

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SERIES 2 S
When i fixed mine, i put a dab of glue on the back of it because guaranteed it will happen again the so called "nut" is just a pressed tin piece of rubbish lol. Also the electric window switch unit is a tight fit but a bit of wiggling gets it out complete with the surround

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
*cough*20AmpFuse*cough*