Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] How to fix faulty horn

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Hey guys,

I fixed a problem with my horn today, took a few pics to share just in case they might help someone else. Did a bit of searching and one thing I couldn't find was a picture of the horn, and where it is\how to get to it. I just knew it was behind the bumper somewhere.

Description of the issue:
- Horn doesn't work, no noise when you press it.

Things to check first:
- There is a relay in engine bay fuse box for the horn, you can try swapping this with one for the lights to see if that's your problem.
- Pull open the fuse box under the steering wheel and have a look in there, there should be a 15A fuse for the horn, check to see if it's blown.
- Replace relay or fuse, and you may have solved your issue.

Basic troubleshooting:
- If you replace the fuse and it blows again straight away, you probably have a wiring problem or a faulty horn.
- To check for a faulty horn, remove the front bumper following this thread - it takes about 5 mins to remove for a first timer.
- Just under each headlight you will find the horns, there are 2. Disconnect both horns. Take a picture first if you won't remember which wire goes where, there are only 2.
- Replace the fuse if it blew and try the horn again, it won't work, but it shouldn't blow either. If it does, your fault is most likely a wiring short (see below).
- Assuming the fuse is still good, re-connect each horn 1 at a time and test the horn. If the fuse blows with one or both horns connected, you will need to replace them.
- You may find only 1 horn is faulty, so you can disconnect it and continue working with 1 until you can replace it.
- You can get a replacement horn easily from any wrecker. Expect to pay at most $20. note: there are 2 different horns, low and high pitch. the passenger side is 500hz not sure about driver side. make sure you get the right one.
- The horn I got came off a maloo so now i'm claiming I've got HSV upgrades installed.
- Refit your bumper by reversing the steps, if you have discovered a faulty horn but can't replace it yet, when you remove the bumper again, you can get away with just removing one side.
- If you have a replacement horn available, simply undo the 1/2" nut and swap them over, try to align it the same way as before and then re-connect the wires as before. This is where having a picture helps.

Wiring short:
- Not sure how to go about troubleshooting this further, so if someone can chime in I will update this post and give full credit or link to\quote your reply.
- Assume you would need just a multimeter our and test at various points, leading back to the button on the wheel, or away from, not sure which is best.
- Here is a youtube video on how to check the voltage with a multimeter for beginners.
- If you're not confident with electronics, don't risk it yourself.

Other tips:
- I only had 5 screws holding my bumper on, 3 in the middle and 1 on each side, I got some replacement screws from supercheap so I could fit it a bit more securely, as the driver side has popped off a few times before.
- The ones I got were 12G x 1" 'mush head' trim screws, they were the closest thing I could find.
- If you have small hands, it's possible to reach under the bumper and reach the horn, so you could possibly troubleshoot it without removing the bumper.
- You probably want to remove 1 side to change the horn though as the nut may be a bit tight.
- Take a picture if you're ever unsure, so you can refer to it later when you have to put it back together.
- Be safe when doing anything on your car.

Here are some quick pics of the horn (location) and how it should be connected. Green (+) and white\black (-) I believe this is right, but I am only guessing based on experience. Someone can correct me if wrong.
This is the passenger side horn, just below the headlight and just behind the bumper.
6juaB48.jpg

qFO7mFl.jpg

h9sW4CJ.jpg

Sorry it's a bit basic but hope it helps some of you, I had been putting off this simple job for ages cos I thought it would be harder than it was.

Cheers