Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] T5 Manual problems.

kyekye

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore / VS SII Calais hybrid
Hey guys i haven't seen anything really put together about Vn - Vs series 1 Borg warner t5 5 speed manual.

What im putting across is problems and how to fix them through my current experience, ive seen a few things scattered around about problems they have had and found and i want to put them in one spot.

Problem.
Clutch pedal went to the floor and heard a loud thunk, the clutch pedal wont return.

Cause.
1. Snapped clutch cable,
2. Damaged thrust bearing,
3. Damaged pressure plate.

Solutions.
1. Get under the vehicle while on the ground or jack stands not jack. Remove the cable clip on point from the clutch fork and pull the cable Out through the engine bay, pull on the cable end and see if it comes right out of the outter casing, if it does you snapped the cable, should be able to find one on ebay or at a clutch place maybe even supercheap, you then need to remove the cable from the clutch pedal, is very tricky might be easier to pull out the pedal box, then install the new cable and you should be right.

2.this one is a little tricky and a pain in the ass, if the trust bearing is damaged you're in for some fun, here you have to remove the Gearbox, first its easier to remove the exhaust system, chock the front wheels and lift up the rear of the car and remove the rear half of the exhaust then remove the tailshaft, 14mm bolts and 15mm nuts against the diff, then two 1/2" / 13mm bolts at the centerbearing then the tailshaft will slide out of the gearbox, is better if you have a cover for the rear of the gearbox where the tailshaft was to stop oil from pouring out of the box, then lower the rear of the car and jack the front up with the hand brake on to stop any rolling, undo the y piece from the manifold, 1/2" nuts, wd-40 or inox will make it easier, drop the exhaust and pull it out, next there are 5 bolts around the bellhousing, 19mm and 4 along the bottom 1/2" that hold the cover plate in, make sure you have a jack underneath the gearbox so it doesnt drop on you, remove the gearbox with a bit of a wiggle and lower it down,
Here is where you look for the problem, if the thrustbearing has broken there is a chance it has also broken the retaining clip for the clutch fork, these can bot be brought through holden or anywhere anymore, however malwood autoparts in queensland make them and can be ordered for 14$ and 12$ shipping, might take a couple days but thats all we got, now remove the clutch fork and inspect the thrust bearing, look around the pins that hold it on if you see broken pieces on the thrust bearing there is your problem, order a new one and you're set, however this is only really known to happen with heavy duty clutchs, these thrust bearins casing is only plastic, malwood supply metal cased thrust bearings for about 80-90 dollars, put it all back together and test your clutch.

3. Check this while you are inspecting your thrust bearing to be safe, remove the pressure plate from the flywheel, 6 1/2" bolts, take the pressure plate off the guiding pins on the flywheel and inspect the fingers, if there are any fingers missing or broken then the clutch plate needs replacing, also check the clutch plate to see if it needs replacing, if the rivers on the clutch plate are scratched or flush then the plate needs replacing,

I hope this will help with any problems you guys have,

Also alot of people cant figure this out easily enough, but when putting the pressure plate back on and the clutch plate, the flat side goes to the flywheel,

Any questions?

vp needs more go

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive V6
gday i recently replaced my t5 and clutch assembly but i didnt read the instructions in the clutch kit and didnt adjust the primary stud ball in the clutch housing before installing.. not even entirely sure what this does but my clutch is engaged right near the top of the pedal (havnt adjusted clutch cable either) and i can feel alot of vibration through the gearbox at high revs... reckon the primary ball stud thing could be the cause? i also butchered a gearbox crossmember not for this box to make it fit which could be the cause