Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VE] How to install a digital gear indicator

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
Before any one chimes in and says "why do you need one of these" or "don't you know what gear your in"
I,m a gadget freak, I have a gear indicator on my XJR1300 too, I just love tech.

I bought a gaslock indi-cator gauge style, you can get these built into the gear knob as well , but with these you can keep at eye level.

You can program these to nearly any colour you want and you only have to tap one wire to wire it in.
I wont go into programing it as the supplied instructions are very good and takes no time at all.

Ok, this is a brief "How To" on the process

I mounted mine with the included suction cup to the windscreen, but soon it will be going in a pod holder.
20150516_180014_zpsrq3ldglu.jpg

I removed the panel at the right hand side of the cluster and ran the wires behind there and down under the drivers side under dash panel and out at the front end of the centre console.
20150516_122352_zps0apdvl78.jpg

20150516_122417_zpsdxaszquv.jpg

Behind the console is the switched positive that you need to tap into and a bolt to earth to.
20150516_165407_zpsmxuuvhnr.jpg

Next, remove the the gear surround and the ashtray/storage compartment ,undo the 4 screws holding the boot down and pull it up,no need to remove gear knob.
20150516_123100_zps0c3jklyh.jpg

Next, place the sensor as far up the gear shift as you can and secure with cable ties.
20150516_123736_zpsutbvnhbh.jpg

Don't replace the boot yet, you may need to move the sensor later.
Next connect the sensor to the receiver box I forgot to get a pic of that.But the included instructions are quite good.
This is where you can choose you colour, I wont go into that here.
After colour choice you can secure the receiver and begin programing .
Once your happy with the function put everything back together and your good to go, took about an hour to fit and I,m very happy with it.
20150516_175914_zpskpy1ppjb.jpg

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Where from, also do you know if it could be fitted to an auto (for full manualised)?