Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VY] How to fix starter motor

goatman

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY executive
Just fixed my stqarter motor and struggled to find the info so thought I would write a post explaining it.

My 04 vy commodore 3.8l auto was struggling to start, figured it wasn't the actual motor or battery as when it was engaging it had plenty of go, it just wouldn't remain engaged during start, or wouldn't engage at all.

Really simple.

Put car up on jacks.
Disconnect battery, the terminal to the starter motor is direct feed from the battery and not fused so ensure it is disconnected.
Roll underneath and just above the steering rack on the left side is the starter.
there is a dust cover over the opening to the gearbox flywheel, remove the one bolt holding that on, it was a 10mm from memory.
Now directly up from there is two bolts going up. 15 mm socket with an extension bar and the biggest handle you can find as they are a bit tight, mine was only a 150mm long handle and it managed.
Once those two bolts are removed removed the positive lead to terminal 30 using 13mm socket and relay input to terminal 50, the spade connector.
Then the whole motor can be shimmied up behind the exhaust headers. Mine ended up coming out with the terminal end first, you definitely don't need to disconnect anything else though.
Once removed, disconnect terminal C 13mm socket again

I then removed the solenoid using a posidrive attachment on a socket with an extension on the 3 screw securing it. *solenoid is under some spring pressure*
Carefully remove the housing then shimmy the plunger towards the motor to get it off the lever arm.

Then do everything in reverse installing your new solenoid, don't forget to install the spring inbetween the plunger and the housing or it wont disengage.
Solenoid part number I got was F000SHO185-741 and cost $85

All up took less than an hour including going to the store to get parts.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
It also pays to remove the starter motor completely, lubricate fork and pinion.
If this is dry/gummed up with old grease and **** it'll cause the problem of it staying engaged when it's not supposed to.