Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing lower ball joint

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
Whats needed.

Jack and chassie stand
19mm socket and spanner
20mm socket and 200mm extension bar
a few other common tools
ball joint
ball joint seperator - not an assesity.

Prob a few other things ive forgottern though.

This reallly isnt as hard as people say.

1. Jack the wheel off the ground which the ball joint needs to be replaced on and support on chassie stands

2. Remove the wheeland put it under the car.

3. Locate the lower control arm. This is the arm that connects into the k frame and has a Z bar coming out of it also linking to the k frame.

4. Now we need to remove this. First loosen the Ball joint nut. This is just behind the rotor. Dont fully undo at this stage. This is a 20mm nut. You will see why later

5. Now we need to loosen the bolt holding the control arm onto the k frame. This is a 19mm nut and bolt.

6. Now we need to undo the Z bar either from the control arm or the k frame. Its easier to under from the control arm if you can. But this can be difficult.

7. After you have undone one side of the z bar finsh unbolting the control bolt and the nut from the ball joint. remove the bolt from the control arm.

8. Now we have to take the ball joint from the suspension. This can be VERY easy sometimes. But it can also be a pain. If it just falls out with a bit of pushing on the control arm your in luck. If it doest you will have to leaver it out. If you have a ball joint seperator then use this if not a big screw driver will do the trick hopefully.

9. Now manovour the control arm out. This can be a pain as well but just persist you will get there. lol

10. Now is the bit that everyone complains about. Removing the actual ball joint. Put the control arm into a good vice. Dont be affriad to tighten it up. The controll arm is only pressed steal but its darn strong. Then get a good hammer. Preferable something with a bit of weight. No hit the ball joint out. Should only take a couple of decent hits.

11. installing the new joint is felly simple. If you have access to a press then by all means use it. If not get a socket that will just fit ontop of the ball joint. Will be a VERY big socket like 42mm or something. There is prob other ways to do it but im not sure.

12. Then tap the ball joint in slowly. Making sure it goes in straight.

13. You have now installed the new ball joint into the control arm.

14. Installation is the reverse of steps 1 - 9. Making sure all bolts are done up tight.

And that my friends is how you install a ball joint into a commodore. Well actually this could be adapted to many cars.

Thanks

Michael

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN SS 5speed, '90 VN Calais 5speed
nice work:thumbsup:
i wish i had this a month ago would have saved myself $33

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
lol. i would pay someone $33 to do it. But i refuse to let anyone work on my car except me, my best mate and a couple of the people he works with, my dad and my brother inlaw...

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I'm about to try this, if it works it will be so helpful. I'm in the middle of trying to change front springs and shocks to kings and konis but I got stuck on the ball joint lol
And yes, I realise I dug up an old thread. :)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I've never taken a control arm out of the vehicle to change a ball joint. Done hundreds of them. I think it is actually easier to do in the car.

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
It was sugested to me that a small spot of weld be put on the joint to hold it in as commodore suspension parts tend to stretch. Apparently this is nearly always done on country cars.

DERTY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL TURBO/ VS 5L STATO/ VP BT1 5L
They just slide in? im currently replacing mine and the fit is extremly tight, do they have to be machine pressed in?

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Unbolt lower control arm > turn upside down and place ball joint on gutter and stomp the **** out of it :p

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I done mine using a trolley jack and two bits of water pipe and stuck it in the manhole under the house .with one piece of water pipe to push the balljoint in and the other as a spacer

Scottyt111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SPAC V6
I'm about to try this, if it works it will be so helpful. I'm in the middle of trying to change front springs and shocks to kings and konis but I got stuck on the ball joint lol
And yes, I realise I dug up an old thread. :)
How’s this for digging up an old thread