Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Checking your Computer for Faults (VN - VP)

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
  1. Remove the kick panel on the passenger side below the glove box.
  2. Grab a paper clip and bridge out the 'white' and 'black wire on the ALDL (Assembly Line Diagnostic Link) which can be found generally on the right hand side of the ECM (Electronic Control Module)or hanging down below it.
  3. Jump into the drivers seat and turn the key twice (so lights are up on the instrument cluster).
  4. If you bridged out the correct wires you will hear the electronic fan cut in and the 'Check Engine Lamp' will be flashing.
  5. The flashes are divided into 2 groups with roughly a second between each. You can read the flashes as follows:

The first series of flashes is tens, so for example lets say the first flash simply flashes once, this means the code is 10. After the pause (~1 second) a second series of flashes will appear, if this number is 2, the code it is spitting out is 12 which means everything is fine.

6. Another example just so your sure ;)

The first series of flashes you count is 4 meaning 40, the second series of flashes is 3. Adding the 40 and the 3 will give you a code of 43 which means the Knock sensor circuit is experiencing problems.

7. Each code the computer picks up is repeated three times with ~3 second pause between, so its wise to sit there to make sure there isn't any problems it has picked up.
  8. Once you are finished turn off your ignition, remove the paper and replace the kick panel. It is important to note not to drive the car around while have wires are bridged as this will prevent new codes from being logged.

Any questions or queries please feel to contact me at anytime.

Checking the computer for codes is used in conjunction with the computer Fault Codes located here

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 17,806
  • pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 19,393
  • paper.jpg
    paper.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 16,677
Last edited by a moderator:

BigMike

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec S1
Will this work for a VT Series 1?

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
BigMike said:
Will this work for a VT Series 1?
No, their systems are entirely different.

You can, however, hold down the "mode" and "set" buttons on the trip computer while starting the engine to get heaps of useless info. On VY they changed this to mode & up.

To extract trouble codes from the PCM on VT onwards you need a Tech2 or similar device.

vl rb30

vn v6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ STATO 5 LITRE
hi there thanks 4 your help i done the teast when i turned the reds on i got 1 flash than another flashh then 2 flashes to start with then it started all over again and 1 flash started 3 seconds later 2 flashes went and then it just repeated itself so all the codes are 12 thats fine but during the test my thermo fan stayed on and if there is no fault codes how come my engine light comes on every know and then thanks buddy

krawczuk

Reaction score

bacon-n-eggs

Tyre Frier
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shitbox, in need of a snail!!
Ive linked up the white and black connectors, with the wires definately making contact with the metal within the connector however when i turn the key to II it still doesnt do anything? It says if it doesnt then i havent bridged it correctly but how is that so when it is a clear circuit?

Fanx for the help peeps :D

Jaym

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Berlina
bacon-n-eggs said:
Ive linked up the white and black connectors, with the wires definately making contact with the metal within the connector however when i turn the key to II it still doesnt do anything? It says if it doesnt then i havent bridged it correctly but how is that so when it is a clear circuit?

Fanx for the help peeps :D

Mate you are using the wrong plug the in the pic is WRONG its the smallier one next to it

MarzVP

I now own a TARAGO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Tarago
new pics added hope that clears it up for people.