Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Filter How-To (VN - VS)

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Tools Needed
  • 250mm shifter
  • 1/4" Ratchet with short extension
  • 10mm socket to suit ratchet

Other Material/s Needed
  • Replacement fuel filter
  • 2L or 4L ice cream container
  • Safety glasses
  1. Reverse the car on to ramps (I don't think this needs explaining) and place 1 axle stand under either side at the rear and a brick or paver under the front tyres just to be sure the car is safe to hop under.
  2. Next up is to remove the lid from the relay compartment under the bonnet near the battery and remove the 'Fuel Pump Relay', this is done so fuel pressure is at a minimum.
  3. Start the engine from there it will sputter and eventually stall, turn the key for around 5 - 10 seconds to relieve any additional pressure and switch off the ignition.
  4. Disconnect negative battery terminal using the shifter. (This is done as a precaution as sparks and fuel don't mix all that well).
  5. Put on your safety glasses (petrol really hurts when it gets into your eyes!) and jump under the rear of the vehicle near the drivers side rear tyre and look straight up which you will see a cylinder looking object which is the fuel filter.
  6. Grab your ice cream container and place it next to you so you have it ready in a few minutes.
  7. Using the 10mm socket plus rachet untighten the 2 hose clamps at the far extremes which hold the fuel filter in place, undo them enough so the clamps can spin around freely.
  8. Rotate the fuel filter backward and forwards to crack the seal as no doubt the filter has been sitting there for a while.
  9. Here is the tricky part, place the ice cream container directly below the fuel filter and attempt to remove the fuel filter from the front first holding the fuel line going to the front of the car whilst rotating the filter backward and forwards whilst pushing the filter towards the rear of the car. Eventually the fuel filter will pop out of the fuel line and a gush of fuel will come down hopefully landing in the container and not on yourself. The fuel should be empty from the filter and line fairly quickly.
  10. Once removed have a look at the condition of the fuel hose and replace if neccessary. Once all good move on to the next step.
  11. Untighten the remaining 2 clamps and remove the hoses from the old filter and place on the new one doing them up enough so the clamps don't fall off but not that tight that they'll foul when you attempt to put it back on the fuel line.

Now your ready to install the new fuel filter, installation is simply a reverse process of what you have just done paying attention to the following points:

• The fuel can only go one way, by saying this you should find a arrow marked on the filter, this must be pointing toward the front of the car or thinking about it another way the direction in which the fuel is going to be flowing.
  • If you didn't replace the fuel hoses, do the clamps up slowly ensuring they go back in the exact same position they came from otherwise you'll more than likely find you'll have fuel leaks which with the current price of petrol it's the last thing you want or need.
  • Finally once all of the above has been done just confirm that all 4 clamps are done up nice and firm, not too tight otherwise you'll crush the hose and have to replace it.

Now all that's left to do is popping the fuel pump relay back in, put the battery terminal back on and getting someone else to start the car if possible whilst you check for any leaks, the car may take a few goes to start but should go without too many hassles. If you can't see any leaks then your all done.

C

cjm

Thanks for the heads up

Just a couple of things:

On my car at least the engine just wouldnt run at all once the fuel pump relay was removed.

I found that just slackening off the hose clamps at the filter it was impossible to remove the filter from the line but by removing a clamp from the next rubber flexible coupling towards the tank it was a simple task to pull out the short piece of steel pipe at that joint and then remove the filter and its coupling hoses as a complete unit.

Thanks again for a very clear task description.

Next question. Where did those clever little things hide the fuel pressure regulator on a VS ?

KLatham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Commodore
Will this process work for a VL Commodore too?

From inspection it sounds like it should, but i'm just making sure.

Cheers.

HVXII

AWI11
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Acclaim storm grey
what about a VX S2?

Burnout_bro

Reaction score
Members Ride
HYPER VX SS/ R33 GTST
yes it will work, u dont need ramps just go under your car,unplug fuel pump it looks like a mini coke can,stick a screw driver in the fuel lines to stop petrol flow, and its easier to relive pressure by opening your fuel tank cap so easy dont take the 2 hour way u can do it in 10 minutes maximum

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
yes it will work, u dont need ramps just go under your car,unplug fuel pump it looks like a mini coke can,stick a screw driver in the fuel lines to stop petrol flow, and its easier to relive pressure by opening your fuel tank cap so easy dont take the 2 hour way u can do it in 10 minutes maximum

so i can just slide under the car with no hassles?

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
i took tha fuel pump fuse out and had tha car runnin for about 10-15mins and she still didnt die, so went under tha car and i think i could still hear tha pump going

tried 2 loosen the clamps but fuel just pissed out bcause it wasnt releived properly??

how long should it take (once tha fuse is out) for tha car 2 konk out???

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Usually about ten seconds? Perhaps try removing the fuel pump fuse AND relay. :)

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
wats the relay.............

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
sum1 plzzzz tell me cause i wana do this 2day, right now!