Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing VL Diff Oil

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
This guide will apply for models fitted with simiar final drives to the VL. I've written it based on the VL because im not sure of the exact details of the others such as what oil to use etc so double check for your car prior to doing the job.

------------

First off, you will need to remove all the bolts holding the cover on the diff and remove the cover itself. Take care when unclipping the metal section of brake line that is attached to the cover. Be sure also to have a pan under the housing to catch the old fluid. The VL was not equipped with any drain plugs on the diff so removing the cover is the only way.

Once you've got all the fluid out, be sure to clean all the old gasket off both the cover and housing. Repco didn't stock the gasket last time I asked but I managed to get one from Holden for about $12 which is ok for genuine parts. You should not need any sealant but a thin bead of a good quality one designed for gearboxes or oil gaskets does not hurt.

Then refill the diff with a good quality (I use valvoline) 90W final drive oil, up to the level of the filler plug. Jobs done!

Mike.